• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nice Morning in the Woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2147.jpg
Cold and crisp. Had my .54 cal Hawken (custom), 90 gr 2f, PRB-pillow ticking, beeswax/mutton tallow lube.

20 minutes later.
IMG_2152.jpg

Another thread talked about lack of blood trail with a PRB. Found some drops where she was hit, had enough to keep following but was a little worried, there just wasn't a lot. Found her dead 60 yards away. On field dressing the ball passed through and demolished the top of the heart.

Surprised there wasn't more blood.

Don

Congrats. What a great morning.

Based on where you hit, I would not expect much blood on the ground. 1. You stopped the heart instantly, so it's not pumping; 2. With the shot through the leg area, it's moving back and forth as they move (albeit for a short period of time), which blocks the hole into the chest everytime the holes don't line up.

Indiana. Our own place, very well situated. The deer move between the farm fields and the top of the ridge were it is densely wooded.
She was full of the corn they planted this year.

Don

Another thread talked about lack of blood trail with a PRB. Found some drops where she was hit, had enough to keep following but was a little worried, there just wasn't a lot. Found her dead 60 yards away. On field dressing the ball passed through and demolished the top of the heart.

Surprised there wasn't more blood.

Don
a heart shot deer will most always run a distance, most times too water.

Often after having a deer hit only to run away, I've had difficult to follow "blood trails" from through and through shots. The absolutely heaviest trail I've followed was a buck I hit with a .45 prb that didn't exit. He fell close enough that I clearly heard him drop.

Sounds like a great morning to me. Think about it... roasts, steak, backstrap, sausage, soup meat, liver and onions, on and on and on, all for the cost of one patched round ball and a snoot worth of powder. Plus a fantastic morning enjoying the great outdoors as a big bonus. Great job and a nice looking rifle too. With that inspiration I think I will go out and try to pop a doe now... Good hunting...

Back