• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nice little auction haul today, a pair of old TCs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Been awhile since I've posted but I still swing by fairly regular.

Went to an auction today and brought home a tidy little haul.

First is a TC PA Hunter 50cal rock-lock. This is my first flinter and I'm pretty stoked about it. It's obviously used but it was well cared for. A few nicks and dings on the stock, but nothing serious. The bore is very good to excellent and was obviously cared for properly. External steel is also very good to excellent. Got this one for $275.

Second is a TC New Englander 50 percussion. This is a birthday gift for my little girl who turns 15 in two days. She has been bugging me to get her a ML of her own since she fired my Renegade for the first time last spring. This one is a bit special because my late father had a New Englander and she is thrilled hers is just like Grandpa's. The New Englander is in pretty much the same condition as the PA Hunter in every aspect. Paid $300

Last thing I picked up because I simply couldn't resist was a 12ga shotgun barrel for the New Englander. There is some corrosion covering about half the length of the bore but it doesn't look too terrible and I think it will clean up and still be useable. If there is pitting left after cleaning I think it will be fairly mild. I got the shotgun barrel for $45.

I really like the traditional TC rifles of yesteryear, they were a very nice product IMO. And we are beginning to amass a descent little collection of them adding this pair to my Hawken and Renegade. I'd still like to pick up a nice Seneca 45 at some point.

At any rate, I grabbed a quick pic. Sorry it's not the best lighting and background but it's what I have at the moment.

I think we did pretty good today.

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_201858389.jpg
    IMG_20220819_201858389.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
Hello everyone. Been awhile since I've posted but I still swing by fairly regular.

First is a TC PA Hunter 50cal rock-lock. This is my first flinter and I'm pretty stoked about it. It's obviously used but it was well cared for. A few nicks and dings on the stock, but nothing serious. The bore is very good to excellent and was obviously cared for properly. External steel is also very good to excellent. Got this one for $275.

Second is a TC New Englander 50 percussion. This is a birthday gift for my little girl who turns 15 in two days. She has been bugging me to get her a ML of her own since she fired my Renegade for the first time last spring. This one is a bit special because my late father had a New Englander and she is thrilled hers is just like Grandpa's. The New Englander is in pretty much the same condition as the PA Hunter in every aspect. Paid $300

Last thing I picked up because I simply couldn't resist was a 12ga shotgun barrel for the New Englander. There is some corrosion covering about half the length of the bore but it doesn't look too terrible and I think it will clean up and still be useable. If there is pitting left after cleaning I think it will be fairly mild. I got the shotgun barrel for $45.

I really like the traditional TC rifles of yesteryear, they were a very nice product IMO. And we are beginning to amass a descent little collection of them adding this pair to my Hawken and Renegade. I'd still like to pick up a nice Seneca 45 at some point.

At any rate, I grabbed a quick pic. Sorry it's not the best lighting and background but it's what I have at the moment.

COOL! Nice haul.

I did a little cleanup on the shotgun barrel, some mild pitting remains. Should still be plenty useable. Don't know if I'll ever use it. Just wanted it because I think the New Englander was the only model they offered a shotgun barrel for if I recall? And I don't think they are very common to find.

There was another TC barrel that sold yesterday. It was an octogon 56cal smooth bore. Looked like 1" for a Renegade.

So after looking around in the flintlock section, I've figured out that the PA Hunter has the old style original lock that is reported to be hard on flints and it's frizzen. I tripped the cock twice and it does throw sparks, but this is my first flinter and I'm completely green with this type of ignition system. That said, I am not sure if it's a healthy spark or not. Still very happy with the purchase, just learning all I can about it before I take it out shooting. 🙂

Looks like a great score. All the auctions I've attended that had any type of firearms were exercises in futility. Folks bid everything up way past retail for new stuff.

Ride-red350R, you did well. Before getting too anxious about the older style flint lock, give it a try with a good flint. It will likely work fine even if it is a little hard on flints.

Very good!!!

Back