• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nice Griswold with Crappy Grips - Now at Midway USA: WOOD GRIPS WANTED

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptnAndy

32 Cal
Reaction score
Evenin' Boys and Fellow Shooters...

I have to admit it, I'm becoming a BIG FAN of MidwayUSA! I see now that have a decent looking Pietta 1851 Griswold in trad. 36 cal in stock for only $249. I don't see any case hardening, cylinder looks plain, - so in all respects - historically correct to Reb production.That is, correct, except for those Gawd awful Polymer Grips!!!!! UGH!

Link: Pietta 1851 Griswold & Gunnison Black Powder Revolver 36 Cal 7.5

Now, I see some El Cheapo Wood Grips for 1851s over at Dixie, that might just work... Wondering... Has anyone tried these or know of a better source to replace those dang blasted plastic abominations? For the life of me, I can't figure out, WHY, Pietta would go with modern plastic grips for this market of historical weapons!

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index.../product_name/AP0203+Grip+Blanks+-+M1851+Navy
KIndest Regards,

Andy

Well the grips aren't the only thing wrong. It should be a .36, they claim it is, but the photo is of a .44 version (rebated cylinder).
It is available in 44 and 36. One thing MidwestUSA is not that good on is pictures.

Do not know your experience level with fitting and putting finish on wood grips but one piece wood grips can be a lot of work.

If you are fairly new to percussion revolvers my unsolicited suggestion would be to buy a used revolver at a gun show and save some money.

Thanks for the reply. LOL, I've made a few guns and stocks. So, I recon I can hand the woodwork there. As far as gun shows, well frankly - I rarely visit them these days, being an old cogger, not willing to take the DeathVax, I usually pass on intentionally diving into fellow human packed Covid Soup environs - as it exists in halls and auditoriums of gun shows. No thanks! (We stay away from each other up on the mountain, and nobody, I do mean nobody got the Coof. I see more horses than people, prefer it as such).

The simple way to make “one piece grips”.is to make a pair of ordinary grips then a filler piece to go inside the frame, fit everything nicely then glue the grip bits to the filler.
From the outside one can’t tell the difference.
I didn’t discover this till I pulled a rather battered Colt Navy to pieces many years ago.
Have used the method a few times, once on a Griswold and Gunnison .44 and altered the grip angle at the same time, the altered grip was, amazingly, more comfortable than the Colt angle; maybe there was a reason that G&G made theirs that way.
EDIT,
Apologies to Phil Coffins,
I should have read the link before posting.:mad:

Last edited:
So does the .36 have a rebated cylinder?

Never mind.
Punched up an old Midway ad and it shows the .44 without a rebated cylinder.
Yep, they do get their pictures wrong.

Last edited:
I was seeing that too...I submitted a question on this to Midway USA
Midway, from my experience is a very good company. Their website is the best. Having said that, they use stock photos and I too have seen mistakes. As nightwolf1974 said, asking them is a great idea and they are very fast to respond. 👍👍 their customer service is unbelievably good from my experience. Just my 2 cents

Evenin' Boys and Fellow Shooters...

I have to admit it, I'm becoming a BIG FAN of MidwayUSA! I see now that have a decent looking Pietta 1851 Griswold in trad. 36 cal in stock for only $249. I don't see any case hardening, cylinder looks plain, - so in all respects - historically correct to Reb production.That is, correct, except for those Gawd awful Polymer Grips!!!!! UGH!

Link: Pietta 1851 Griswold & Gunnison Black Powder Revolver 36 Cal 7.5

Now, I see some El Cheapo Wood Grips for 1851s over at Dixie, that might just work... Wondering... Has anyone tried these or know of a better source to replace those dang blasted plastic abominations? For the life of me, I can't figure out, WHY, Pietta would go with modern plastic grips for this market of historical weapons!

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index.../product_name/AP0203+Grip+Blanks+-+M1851+Navy
KIndest Regards,

Andy
Probably to keep cost down. Guys will fill in the blanks with after market grips.

For Grips for many old revolvers, not saying the Griswold necessarily, but NC Ordnance catalogs repro grips for hundreds of obsolete revolvers, plus buttplates and grip caps, they claim the molding process does not "shrink" in size. Look 'em up!

Back