• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Next Move to Improve Build Skills

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheppsan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Finished building this Lyman GPR a few months ago and think it turned out OK. Now I would like to take a next step in developing my building skills and acquire a rifle more eligible to shoot in NMLRA target matches. Would be interested in your opinions in next step to take regarding build skills. Know the Kible kits are excellent and have watched all his videos, but I wonder if another kit might be better to develop inletting, drilling, finishing and other skills. What would you guys think about a TVM, Chambers, or Pecatonica River kit; would they be more appropriate to my goals. Would eventually like to build from a blank but know I do not have skills yet. Any suggestions or input appreciated. Thanks...

GPR Cropped.jpg

Finished building this Lyman GPR a few months ago and think it turned out OK. Now I would like to take a next step in developing my building skills and acquire a rifle more eligible to shoot in NMLRA target matches. Would be interested in your opinions in next step to take regarding build skills. Know the Kible kits are excellent and have watched all his videos, but I wonder if another kit might be better to develop inletting, drilling, finishing and other skills. What would you guys think about a TVM, Chambers, or Pecatonica River kit; would they be more appropriate to my goals. Would eventually like to build from a blank but know I do not have skills yet. Any suggestions or input appreciated. Thanks...

View attachment 60660
Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica, Chambers and Caywood make kits that are mostly collections of parts. Get a kit that doesn't include the lock inletting. That way you can choose the lock that would be best for your build.

Sheppsan.........You didn't mention you have a copy of Dixon's "Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle. If you are going to even attempt to build from scratch , or preshaped this book is required reading. It takes you from start to finish step by step on how to do it , and tools needed with how to use them. The best part , are the how to drawings. The really best part is , no electricity required for video equipment. The really , really best thing is the Price, about $20.00. Of all the other books out there , it's still the best. There is little reference to using special expensive jigs and dies. My opinion , they didn't have all that stuff in the old days ,so why now. The "experts " say you can't build a $10,000 rifle w/o them. Yea , maybe , but who gives a fart about that. I want a gun that goes bang and can hit the target when used and is minimally priced. ...................oldwood

Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica, Chambers and Caywood make kits that are mostly collections of parts. Get a kit that doesn't include the lock inletting. That way you can choose the lock that would be best for your build.
Considering your objectives, there are tons of options for you to choose from. I would say that buying a bunch of parts that are produced and assembled: who knows where, is not necessarily going to improve your skills. Inletting, and making everything fit, and function will certainly be a challenge, and is bound to expand your skill-set.
Good luck, and have fun.

Sheppsan.........You didn't mention you have a copy of Dixon's "Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle. If you are going to even attempt to build from scratch , or preshaped this book is required reading. It takes you from start to finish step by step on how to do it , and tools needed with how to use them. The best part , are the how to drawings. The really best part is , no electricity required for video equipment. The really , really best thing is the Price, about $20.00. Of all the other books out there , it's still the best. There is little reference to using special expensive jigs and dies. My opinion , they didn't have all that stuff in the old days ,so why now. The "experts " say you can't build a $10,000 rifle w/o them. Yea , maybe , but who gives a fart about that. I want a gun that goes bang and can hit the target when used and is minimally priced. ...................oldwood
Oldwood, I do have Dixon's excellent book. I also have the Gunsmith of Grenville County. I have read both cover-to-cover and understand all the concepts. Just a little hesitant to jump into a complete build. I most certainly agree with keeping it simple and power free. Electing to only use hand-tools on my GPR certainly kept me out of trouble on more that one occasion.

If the goal is to develop your building skills then the best way to go is to build from a blank. A parts set kit is certainly going to teach you more than a Lyman kit, but there is still a fair amount that has been done by someone else. With a blank you are doing all of it. When you get the hang of that you can start working on making your own parts.

Shep , didn't mean to mislead you. I use dremel tools , 1"x 42" belt sander ,a cheap 3/8" electric drill with an integral bubble level mounted in the frame. I'm handy capped by impatience. If i can see a way to do something using simple electric tools./ I'll do it. For instance , drilling straight pin holes , assuming the under lugs are installed on the underside of the barrel with the barrel in place in the stock , Put the gun in a vise with the barrel leveled side to side. Mark with a 6" square where the lug is vertically on the bottom of the barrel. If the stock and barrel are level , and the drill motor has an internal level , a straight pin hole is assured each time through a barrel lug , trigger guard , whatever. No special jigs needed. I think you will develop a work style just fine. .................oldwood

Other than sanding and finish work you won't learn much with a Kibler kit, which is a testament to the super high quality and attention to detail that Jim has built into his kits. If you want to learn, get yourself a plank with the barrel channel inletting and ram rod hole drilled. Go over to Pecatonica River's website and look around over there, good place to start.

Back