• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

next common size down from a .690 round ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
got me a perc.double barrel to use deer huntin if I want but not sure what...or how it shoots..inside barrel is just .700.........not sure if .690 will work with patch,(not gonna buy 25 @ $12 jus to try!) like to get a few 690's an maybe a few smaller..anyone know what next size down is that's common...an gettable? if it shoots okay I'd get a mold,jus not sure what size. trying to buy a few of each on classifieds..not sure what size to ask for...thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
gees oh dopey me...lol.. i looked in track..seen the 690's and never looked backed.. seems.... :hmm: with a 690 patchin be really thin...an pretty thick w/ a 680... if i end up buyin (untested) prolly go with 680..least i know they'll fit ........seems anyway.. gonna look fer a few 690's to try before buyin, Thanks Guys! :thumbsup:

the way I see it, a good number of us shoot a .50 with .490 PRB so I would think a .690 would work with the same patch in a .700.... I use blue striped ticking from JoAnns in my .50 with spit patches and it works great....

I shot a .69 in my sawed off bess and it shot well.A .490 prb in a .50 has some patch thickness in to the groves.You cant do that with a smoothy. Even a .010 patch + a .690 ball adds up to .01+.690+.01=.710. You may find that .678 ball your best bet. I shoot a .595 in a .62 with a .15 patch,or loaded in a wad of greased tow.If you shoot a .690 you might want to go old school and shoot it with a wad and not try to patch it.

Old Ford said:
Hello RC,
If you need some .69's I have some, I can send you some to try.
Email your address and I'll send some.
Fred
thank you Fred,,I have a friend i talked to last nite thinks he may have some...but if not I'd gladly buy a few from you Thanks! RC

Latest posts

Back