• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newly Interested In Flintlock Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootistJack

To Hunt Is To Live
Reaction score
Hello All,

Decades ago I hunted with a T/C percussion rifle, and I still own it, and it's in great shape,
but now I want a flintlock rifle. [The big RENDEZVOUS look like a lot of fun too!] I'm on
Florida's west coast, a short distance north of Tampa Int'l Airport. Advise has reached me
that the mass produced locks can be found to be disappointing, and that replacement
locks from L & R [ lr-rpl.com ] are a great answer to that. I plan to do plenty of reading on
this forum to help me make the right choices. I like the looks of the .54 caliber T/C rifle in
the attached photo. My first question is, of calibers .45, .50, .54 and on up, which caliber is
most seen at the big rendezvous? Question two is, which caliber do the white-tailed deer
hunters most often select? Thanks in advance for your responses!

ThompsonCenter .54 Flintlock.png

Looks like I will have to reply and see if we can get some comments going :)

I'm on the west coast and don't go to many rendezvous so I can't really say what is the most popular caliber. I have a .40 and .50, both nice for trail walks but some trails are setup for squirrel guns and some for larger calibers.

I don't hunt either but I have seen .50 and .54 mentioned most often as deer rifles.

I just like shooting flinters, percussion is just to modern and not as fun LOL.

You probably won't have trouble w Pedersoli locks....purchased two new a few months ago. Both spark and fire fine

My first is a .54 . I love it. It is as fine a rifle as you will find anywhere.

But in retrospect I feel the builder put me into that caliber. I was/am a novice and could have used some more back and forth about the caliber. I likely would have preferred a smaller caliber, but his smaller calibers were heavier guns. Should have learned more before buying.

This is a great place to get all kind of answers. You’ll have to see what suits you. I have recently hunted successfully with a 45 cap lock. Both whitetails weighed around 150# and went down quickly. I just bought a flintlock 45 and am getting used to it, planning to hunt with it in the fall. Not sure about the ronez.

You will find most deer-appropriate rifles will come in .45, .50 and .54. Check regs on legal calibers where you intend to hunt. A .50 will be good just about everywhere and the industry has more choices of rifles and , ammo and do-dads in .50 than any other caliber. Lots of us love our .54's.
It sounds like you're being patient and getting good advice before your purchase. :thumb: Good luck and enjoy the smoke.

The rifle in your picture is a great one to start with. You might want to consider a good used rifle. I have several Lyman's and they have proven to be good, reliable and accurate guns. Most consider them an entry-level gun but they are much better than early "modern period" ML guns. The lock are only slightly less fast than others but measure that in milliseconds. I have never had a lock break that wasn't my stupid fault. Replacements are usually available.

I don’t know which calibre I would say is most often seen at Rendevous…it depends on the shoot classifications that are being held.

Small calibre shoots are usually .40 calibre or smaller, also called squirrel shoots. Large calibre shoots are usually .45 calibre or larger.

A big bore shoot would be for firearms of .54 calibre or larger.

Woods Walks & Seneca Runs don’t usually have calibre classifications; as you are usually knocking gongs and projectile diameter is not an issue. Gongs are strait hit or miss propositions.

When going to the range and spending the day punching paper…I prefer a full stocked .40 calibre; it sips powder and lead, so I get to maintain my skill level, and limit the use of resources.

For hunting deer sized game, or larger, I use a .54 calibre…it is the most efficient calibre, at converting grains of powder into down-range velocity. Great hunting calibre….

Last edited:
Hello All,

Decades ago I hunted with a T/C percussion rifle, and I still own it, and it's in great shape,
but now I want a flintlock rifle. [The big RENDEZVOUS look like a lot of fun too!] I'm on
Florida's west coast, a short distance north of Tampa Int'l Airport. Advise has reached me
that the mass produced locks can be found to be disappointing, and that replacement
locks from L & R [ lr-rpl.com ] are a great answer to that. I plan to do plenty of reading on
this forum to help me make the right choices. I like the looks of the .54 caliber T/C rifle in
the attached photo. My first question is, of calibers .45, .50, .54 and on up, which caliber is
most seen at the big rendezvous? Question two is, which caliber do the white-tailed deer
hunters most often select? Thanks in advance for your responses!

View attachment 135936
Here in PA the caliber has to be no less than .45 for deer.

I own 50/54/62 and I whole heartedly believe that the .50 is the best all around caliber for the avg. person. It will take deer & even bear if you are so inclined, without a problem. It is easy to fine supplies and meets All state laws for Caliber that I am aware of. Smaller caliber rifles in my experience tend to foul quicker. .40 caliber or less become "squirrel rifle, especially when in the .32 caliber range, and were used for small game, and because they were cheap to shoot using less lead & powder. In the backwoods of Appalachia, Smoky Mts and other backwoods areas, people were frugal out of necessity. Just one man's opinion!

I've carried both a .45 and a .40 to rendezvous. But I no longer attend them nor do I still hunt. In the past I've killed deer with the .45, .50, .54 and .62. The .45 did as great a job on whitetails and the bigger calibers. For that reason I always seemed to grab a .45 when I leave the house. I have 4 .45 rifles. They weigh from just over 6 lbs to 7.75 lbs. Compare that with my .54 at nearly 10.5 lbs and .62 at 8 lbs. The .45 makes up into a very lightweight, handy rifle. Admittedly though, my .50 only weighs 7 lbs 2 oz.

When talking the same width across the flats or profile barrel, typically a 54 would weigh a good 1/2-pound or more less than a 50. For longer longrifles, I think a 54 is the way to go.

Sounds like you could do with a 45 if you could get the smallest width barrel possible., as I don't think those FL deer are that big. But what about hogs?

I gotta say shootistjack ... that I just LOVE your enthusiasm! And you are right - a poor performing flinter has (to me) turned off more potential flintlock shooters than anything else!

FWIW right now I'm helping a new BP shooter find a flintlock longrifle, but he doesn't want a T/C or Lyman (doesn't want a 'heavy' Hawken) nor Pedersoli (doesn't like the 'hump' on some of their buttstocks). A good otion, but good luck finding one, would be an early Austin & Halleck.

Anyways, I found him an early Turner Kirkland (who started Dixie Gun Works) 2-digit serial# 40-cal squirrel rifle for only $450, that needed some TLC. I refinished it and worked on the lock. It is built like a real BP longrifle - all pinned together (ramrod pipes, trigger guard, & trigger plate, etc.,, versus being screwed together like Pedersolis). His budget was originally $1,000, but less those brands mentioned previously, that amount would buy him ... NOTHING in today's market.

Best next level up would be a serviable used longrifle or Kibler Longrifle kit of either the Southern Mountain Rifle or Colonial rifle, but they'd be $1200+ (and the Kibler kits would still need to be built)! To me .... since I've been searching heavily for used flintlocks lately ... a minimum price level of say $1,400 (unless you really find a 'steal'!) gets one into (1) a longrifle of true historical school and shape, (2) great parts and a premium lock and (3) likely a premium swamped barrel profile and (4) if really lucky ... a longrifle that's already built.

And it would be one you'd likely have for a lifetime ... that is, until you bought your NEXT flint longrifle, LOL! Maybe this info here will help you out with your budget and search?!?!???? Now one's definition of what 'premium' might be may differ than mine, but let's NOT argue that ... as what I mean is something a good/big step up from that of the Italian imports and the like.

So back to my new BP friend ... I'm advising him that he buy/use that TK 40-cal (as he won't hunt) and then save up and look around for what he may truly want for his next purchase. At least this gets him shootin'!

I have several rifles that were built for me years back, and today, you could not build it for less than $2000 to $2400 easy! Original full Swamped Sharon barrels, tuned Jim Chambers Locks, triggers or others even handmade! Stocks made from a blank, a
flintlocks.jpg
long with hand cast parts like butt plates and trigger guards, sliding wood patch box etc etc. And just the time invested by a reputable builder adds up $$ quickly, and if you want it true to form, say a Haines or Beck, Lehigh valley or Lancaster even more $$ IMHO

I have several rifles that were built for me years back, and today, you could not build it for less than $2000 to $2400 easy! Original full Swamped Sharon barrels, tuned Jim Chambers Locks, triggers or others even handmade! Stocks made from a blank, aView attachment 136603long with hand cast parts like butt plates and trigger guards, sliding wood patch box etc etc. And just the time invested by a reputable builder adds up $$ quickly, and if you want it true to form, say a Haines or Beck, Lehigh valley or Lancaster even more $$ IMHO
If anyone knows of Cabin Creek Muzzleloading in Hellam, Pa, run by Brad Emig. He builds rifles from scratch even barrels! He does fantastic work. My Fowler was built by him in 2002 from a stock blank, Chambers/Siler Lock and hand built barrel! My 54 (third from bottom)is a true to form Haines with Keller hand cut full Swamped, Colerain barrel with radius rifling and free open crown for easy loading, Chambers Germanic style chamfered lock. My 50 (second from bottom), is a very Early Lancaster County style. Built by Burwell with a full Swamped Sharon barrel, William Cain Single set trigger, Siler Chambers lock. All of my rifles have full curly maple hand carved stocks, hand burnished cast buttplates, sideplates, toe plates, pipes etc. The details on all of them are wonderful and accurate. I couldn't replace these now if I wanted too! ($$$) I just love looking at them. They are the only firearms I own that my wife allows to be displayed. Go figure!

Latest posts

Back