• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Newly Aquired D.R. Hopkins Rifle-Photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
My father just recently aquired a rifle built by D.R. Hopkins. We know little about this builder other than it appears he went out of business in 1984? We know he built rifles in Tennesee and that's about it. Go ahead and chime in if you know anything about ole' "Doc" Hopkins.

I need to mic the bore for my father, but it appears to be a .45 caliber. Barrel is 13/16 across the flats and 36in long. We're not sure of the twist yet and the maker of the barrel hasn't yet been discovered.

The trigger is interesting. What looks like a set trigger in the back actually cocks the hammer from half cock to full cock.

All inlays and the toe plate are bone.

IMG_0782_zpsmhuol2ds.jpg

IMG_0781_zpsvzzsz9fj.jpg

IMG_0783_zps5vkgthnz.jpg

IMG_0785_zpsezigwiz3.jpg

IMG_0784_zpsn32acawh.jpg

IMG_0788_zpsmve1ua6d.jpg

IMG_0787_zpsl193cwpo.jpg

IMG_0786_zps1cjhpphr.jpg

I don't know anything about the builder but that is a pretty cool rifle. :thumbsup:

"Doc" Hopkins was in business in Pigeon Forge, almost directly across the street from the Old Mill Restaurant. I bought parts from him to build a .32 cal halfstock squirrel rifle. Originally, it was a percussion and later, I converted it to flint. I was going to buy a 13/16 barrel but he talked me in to getting a 3/4 barrel. I have never been sorry. I have sent many squirrels to that great nut house in the sky with it. It is still capable of giving headshots at 25 yards. I visited "Doc's" shop several times. Nice fellow! He closed because when the area went so commercial, the rent just became too high. I guess that is what they call progress. Not sure I agree!

Beautiful rifle. For me the beauty lies in its clean lines and simplicity. Nice combination of beautiful wood, iron, brass and bone.

So, Tell me, how does the trigger cocking the
hammer really work ????

Fantastic looking rifle! The bone inlays look nice. It's been years since I'v seen any and had forgotten about them. See the link below for a further discussion of Doc Hopkins:

Doc Hopskins Rifles
My dad was Doc Hopkins and he built every gun himself. He took great pride in his work and craftsman ship. He passed away last week Thursday from a rare form of aggressive cancer.

My father just recently aquired a rifle built by D.R. Hopkins. We know little about this builder other than it appears he went out of business in 1984? We know he built rifles in Tennesee and that's about it. Go ahead and chime in if you know anything about ole' "Doc" Hopkins.

I need to mic the bore for my father, but it appears to be a .45 caliber. Barrel is 13/16 across the flats and 36in long. We're not sure of the twist yet and the maker of the barrel hasn't yet been discovered.

The trigger is interesting. What looks like a set trigger in the back actually cocks the hammer from half cock to full cock.

All inlays and the toe plate are bone.

IMG_0782_zpsmhuol2ds.jpg

IMG_0781_zpsvzzsz9fj.jpg

IMG_0783_zps5vkgthnz.jpg

IMG_0785_zpsezigwiz3.jpg

IMG_0784_zpsn32acawh.jpg

IMG_0788_zpsmve1ua6d.jpg

IMG_0787_zpsl193cwpo.jpg

IMG_0786_zps1cjhpphr.jpg

D.R. Hopkins was my father. He made black powdered rifles, knives, etc in The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge Tennessee for several years. He moved to Florida after a few years at the request of my mother so they could raise me and my brother around family (both toddlers at the time). He made couple customers knives for politicians while in Florida as retirement gifts. He passed away June 2020. This post made me smile. Enjoy your Dan Hopkins creation.

Attachments

• 1592232017382-02abe70a-ff1c-4b1e-a316-a7821681a727_.jpg
    1592232017382-02abe70a-ff1c-4b1e-a316-a7821681a727_.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 1592232174623-5c00760d-c291-42a7-8cba-5b544fb2ede9_.jpg
    1592232174623-5c00760d-c291-42a7-8cba-5b544fb2ede9_.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 133
My dad was Doc Hopkins and he built every gun himself. He took great pride in his work and craftsman ship. He passed away last week Thursday from a rare form of aggressive cancer.
My condolences . Your dad was a good friend although I hadn’t seen him in years. I knew him in fla before he moved to tenn. I’m the guy that he built 3 rifles for in the early 80s and I still cherish them. He built me a fancy 45 cal with a swamped Getz barrel the wood I had purchased for $300 in 1980. He said as many others have that it was the finest piece of Curley maple he had ever seen. Many inlays and shoots like a dream. Anytime I take it out i get wow comments. I think of him every time I see the gun . So he lives on through his works, he will be missed

Back