Newcomer's working persona

Discussion in 'General Reenacting Discussions' started by William McConagher, Dec 27, 2009.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1

William McConagher

William McConagher

William McConagher

32 Cal.

Hey all,

to start off with, I'd like to give you my primary inspiration for my persona. My third great-grand uncle was Billy Dixon, who won a Medal of Honor as a scout during the Indian Wars.

Since then I have been doing research and trying to come up with a fun persona that fits in with being a young kid who bravely and foolishly volunteers into the Civil War looking for glory. Following the horrors, he leaves feeling disgruntled and hurt by the atrocities man can make for himself and "disappears" into the wilderness.

For Cowboy Action Shooting, the primary reason for this development in my persona was my choice of armament. I shoot cap&ball, and I'm looking forward to purchasing my first pistol, an 1847 Walker or 1st Model Dragoon here within the week.

I've always liked the more old school flair of these weapons and their power. To add to that, I've always been a fan of old cap or flintlock rifles as well. In the long range side matches, I'm going to go for style and use something like a Hawken maybe.

I've decided that my character will be a Civil War Veteran to explain where he gets his (in SASS) main-match rifle: an 1865 Spencer Carbine. What I'd like help with now is trying to figure out which regiments actually used this weapon, and what the Sharpshooter regiments used and carried as well.

I was thinking the double-set trigger and a traditional scope mounted on a family heirloom Hawken would be great style points for my character to use, as I've found that sharpshooters tended to use their match rifles from home.

Somehow on a video on youtube I found a link to this forum, and I'm very glad I did. The category for the cap&ball shooters in SASS is called "Frontiersman" and as far as I'm concerned nothing gets more Frontiersman than a man trekking in the wilderness in a capote and having a flintlock or percussion cap rifle on his shoulder.

Any help in further deepening my character would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dec 31, 2009 #2

William McConagher

William McConagher

William McConagher

32 Cal.

alright, since no one is posting replies, I'll further elaborate what I thought I could do.

Here, on these forums I initially wanted to just further the background story of my "cowboy" character, seeing as there is a "Civil War" topic area.

What I'm looking for is if there is for any additional information about the volunteer sharpshooter regiments, other than can be found via google.
    For example:

primary armament: its said that Sharps were "given" out as issue, but I've also found references where people brought their prized percussion hunting and target rifles with them. It makes sense, the rifle you know, is the rifle you can shoot.

Also, what regiments did in fact use the Spencer Repeating Arms rifle? I've found some info via the internet, but I also know anyone can post just about anything. I was hoping for a book on the subject.

their "uniform:" I've read some, such as Berdan's unit wore dark green uniforms, but as a general rule they didn't just wear the standard blue uniform? I'm hoping to find more info for that too.

their sight apertures on their rifles: did they use the malcom scopes or modified tang mounted peep sights and such as well?

basically I want to further develop that character's background to liven it up. In a way, myself being a young disgruntled vet, he's similar to myself, and I just don't want to fall astray. I want to give it the best archeological perspective that I can vs the "spaghetti western" or "duke" style so many of us have grown up on.

and secondly:

after a few days research on "trekking" "rendezvous" and "clans" I have decided to make a new persona. Hopefully wearing some similar gear as my cowboy persona, namely the traditional hunter's capote, a slouch hat that has minor curls on the brim,and my traditionally Native American made mocs.

my questions here are as follows:

the capote: this is a huge part of my character as I'm a wimp in the cold and live in Flagstaff/Prescott. What styles are more accurate than others so I may make it accurate to fit both the late 1830s/early 1840s and the 1860s of my
    other "cowboy" character?

where can I find some historical patterns for cloaks that I can make water resistant via an oilskin method I have used elsewhere... for example, an 18th century great coat or cloak still work? I already have a hand-made cloak that's been made "oilskinned" that I use when I sail. It's a given that monsoons rush through Az in July/August.

Basically, I wanted to add these questions because I believe, and tell my students, that the only question that's stupid is the one not asked. Secondly, that I wanted to make doubly sure that I didn't create a false pretense where I came onto a pre 1840s forum and said, "gee gollicker! dontcha love mah cowboyn garb?" :redface: That's not what I meant. :shake:

Anyways, please, any help is most appreciated. Believe me, this is a passion of mine, and unlike some, I love constructive criticism... without it, how are we supposed to learn?

3. Jan 25, 2010 #3

bkovire

bkovire

bkovire

45 Cal.

have you tried the history of the us army, 1860-65. goole that. also try history ch, also a google. history detectives pbs. i'v been locking for hunnter kommel. was army scout 1848 1868, owned one of the first 73 wins, don't know what happen'd with it.

4. Jan 25, 2010 #4

bkovire

bkovire

bkovire

45 Cal.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018

Draft saved Draft deleted