• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie when to load question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendjoseph

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Wednesday is opening day for muzzleloader season in Connecticut. My question is when to load my gun. Should I let it sit outside and get cold? Or just load it before I leave. I have a 20 minute drive to my spot. :idunno:

I have the same situation, I load mine (minus priming) just before I leave the house. If I don't shoot, I keep it loaded, usually in a cool spot (breezeway or garage) for the next day.

I always load mine the evening before, at home, in the warm, case the gun and put it in the car overnight. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Spence

I'm with claude on this one. Load it when you get there. There's no good reason not to do it that way that I can think of. That has always been the way I've done it.

I'm in the load it the night before camp. I have enough to do the morning of, and can take my time and load it with love in the comfort of home. I also leave it in an unheated garage for the duration of the season, and don't discharge it until the sights are on fur, or the season ends.

i hunt my place most of the season and walk from the house to the woods so i load before i leave the back porch and put the cap on when i get to the woods. if i am hunting out of a tree stand i always take primer off and re-prime when i get seated. if i don't fire it that day and know i'm going back the next morning i put one of the little rubber/plastic caps over the nipple hole after taking the primer off and put it in the gun rack (unless its been raining durning my hunt then i unload and clean),if i put it in the gun rack loaded i got a red plastic cap that i put over the muzzle just to remind me its still loaded.

I burn off a few caps, or foul my flintlock, before loading. As to when to load it all depends on where I am hunting if I am sneaking in to a small area I will burn off a few then load it before I get there. If I am hunting a large area or walking in a long ways. I will burn off caps and load when I get to where I park.

Thanks everyone. I am going to load the night before, and store in my jeep. Plan on emptying it an hour later! :thumbsup:

Righteous or not I usually load my rifle the day before and sometimes several days before I go out and leave it in the house. In all these years it's never caused a problem. If your gun likes you it will always be loyal.

Latest posts

Back