• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokestick

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I've been lurking for some time and decided to post. I just put together a CVA Plains Pistol kit, .50 cal, finished it up a few weeks back. This is my first blackpowder gun. It was given to me as a gift, and it was a good starter project I guess. I think it turned out great. It shoots okay, but with no rear sight, it's more of a point and shoot affair.

Yesterday I completed a homemade shortstarter made of antler, and a 30g powder charger out of antler tip. That, combined with the 'couterments Santa brought me from Track, I'm well on my way. I've read Fadala's Black Powder shooting book, and his Lyman's Blackpowder loading book several times cover to cover, so at least on paper I've got a good idea of what's going on.

Anyway, to the question. I'm thinking I want to build a Lyman GPR for my next project, to be a round ball shooter in .50 cal mostly. However, I want to also get a 1:32 twist "hunter" barrel from Lyman to shoot conicals for hunting purposes at times. My question is, will a .54 cal Lyman "hunter" barrel in 1:32 twist fit a .50 cal GPR? I know I can buy the .50 fast twist barrel and it will fit, but what about the .54? Anybody know? Thanks.

The flats of the barrel must be the same to work, say 1 inch accross the flats (each flat side of the octagon barrel shape) .54 are usually larger, say 1 1/4 accross the flats, sometimes larger.

The barrel must also fit in the hooked breach and the wedge pin(s) must line up too.

Now, a .50 caliber round ball in a 1-66 inch twist barrel will knock the socks off of a deer just fine... (if you can fine a deer wearing them)

1-32" is fast, they make a 1-48" that works well for conical muzzleloading bullets...

All the GPR barrels are 15/16ths across the flats, so you can interchange any of them with another. However is there some reason you think you need more than a round ball for hunting? With a .50 or .54 RB you have all you need to take deer within normal iron sight limits.

I guess no real reason. .50 cal roundball would probably be fine for me in 99.9% hunting situations I'd find myself in. I'll probably never hunt elk or bear with it, just whitetail and small game. I was just curious as to if this was even a possibility. It'd be nice to know I could go to a .54 bullet in the same gun if I ever wanted to. I've never read of anyone doing that with the GPR.

Midsouth Shooters Supply has the 50 cal. Percussion GPR kit for $239.12. The 54 cal. 1 in 32 drop-in Lyman barrell is $125.

Good luck,
Robert

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably order from MidSouth, they've got the best prices around that I've seen. I've been researching inlays too...I may actually cut something original out of brass or german silver sheeting. I think brass might look kinda out of place with the browned furniture/barrel and all. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back