• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Newbie question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to black powder, within the last two months. I was given a rifle by a close friend. The ram rod was missing though. I order the one pictured from totw. My question is, is the ram rod sticking out further than the barrel like this ok? I put the rod down the barrel and cut it off flush. I under stand the rod will be longer than the barrel once there is powder/patch/ball in it. I am just unsure if the rod sticking out is fine or not.

Attachments

• 9AE4CBC0-F070-48C8-812D-925AA6F56B1F.jpeg
    9AE4CBC0-F070-48C8-812D-925AA6F56B1F.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 126
The ramrod hole is shorter than the barrel. Won't hurt to let it stick out.
FYI: While it will work just fine as is, the front sight is backwards.
Hahaha, thank you for that information. I had no clue. It was like that when I got it. I will see if I can get it turned around.

My ramrod is held in by a metal lip at the end of the barrel. If the lip wasn’t there the ramrod would creep out of its guides a few inches forward due to the recoil. If your ramrod isn’t secured somehow it will creep out when you shoot. My ramrod has a slight bow in it. If I don’t turn it to the right spot, it doesn’t seat all the way in.

I have a rifle that has an epoxied on nosecap. Over time the epoxy released and, the nosecap slid forward about a sixteenth along with the loose fitting ramrod every shot until I put a rivet in it.

If you can, and it's not deep enough as it sits, you can deepen the RR hole with a long bit. Having the RR come out a little bit under recoil is no big deal. In fact, it's actually helpful if you're going to use it to reload. Otherwise, if you are using a range rod (I do for 99% of my shooting so it's function is largely decorative) just push it back down before you start reloading.

If you can, and it's not deep enough as it sits, you can deepen the RR hole with a long bit.
While this is true, if I were brand new to black powder guns, I probably wouldn't attempt it unless under the direction of someone with building experience, like Col Batguano! Drilling ramrod holes, even into existing ones, without knowledge could end up causing more issues than an inch of ramrod sticking out ever would! :)

I purposely cut my ramrod blanks a little long. If you make a ramrod the same length as the bore, yes it is fine for loading. But, if you ever have to pull a ball with that rod, you're not going to have enough rod to grasp to pull the ball.

Do you plan on using the new rod for show or as a working rod? Wood rods can be somewhat flexible but can and will break, if misused. Wood is all right for a second shot while hunting. A sturdy loading/cleaning rod will serve you much better at the shooting range ( unbreakable ). The right size jag should be purchased to fit whichever calibre rifle that you shoot.

While this is true, if I were brand new to black powder guns, I probably wouldn't attempt it unless under the direction of someone with building experience, like Col Batguano! Drilling ramrod holes, even into existing ones, without knowledge could end up causing more issues than an inch of ramrod sticking out ever would! :)

You're right! The biggest "fix jobs" out there are fixes of fixes that shouldn't have been fixed by their fixers.

Make sure to seal your ramrod some way, linseed oil, ting oil, something like that. It’s rare, but a bare wood ramrod could attract enough moisture to swell and become stuck in the thimbles or rod channel.

I purposely cut my ramrod blanks a little long. If you make a ramrod the same length as the bore, yes it is fine for loading. But, if you ever have to pull a ball with that rod, you're not going to have enough rod to grasp to pull the ball.
I have made my ramrods slightly long as Sidney does. I also have a ramrod extension from Larry Callahan to add 4" of length to the ramrod when I attach a ball puller to pull a ball. Look on page 2.

Callahan Bagmolds - Products Page 1

Back