• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie onboard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy y'all,

I have a friend who builds Kentucky and Lancaster flintlock long rifles from scratch. The firing mechanism is the only factory made piece on the rifle. He starts with an acceptable (to him) stock of wood. He blues the barrel. He carves the brass and inlays. He took me shooting once and that was all it took for me to want one and I got on the wait list, for two years.

He just started it. It will be similar to the avatar photo. No two are identical. I might have mine by this summer, or by end-of-year for sure.

I am not buying it as a show piece, we (me, my son, my friends, his friends, friends of friends) are taking it to the range regularly. I'm 73, never owned a weapon, other than inheriting a commorative Colt 1911 my dad got from the 2nd Marine Division for his work as their medic in the South Pacific in WWII.

Richard is also building me an ammo box like the one he has used for 50 years, about how long he has hunted with a muzzle loader.

I know a little about supplies but not enough, figured I'd join this group for help. I want to compete with it, eventually.

These are photos of the one he built for himself.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.JPG
    IMG_2798.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2799.JPG
    IMG_2799.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2801.JPG
    IMG_2801.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageOXyKLK.png
    tempImageOXyKLK.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImagemkUUqC.png
    tempImagemkUUqC.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Forum. If your friend is building a similar rifle to the one pictured, you will have a very nice rifle.

There will be many different opinions about the supplies you need from the members on the Forum. We will try to help as much as we can from out keyboards. Your best information is still likely to come from your friend. Still, it can be interesting to get a second opinion or more.

Welcome, from North Carolina! Beautiful rifles in the pics. What people carry often depends on how they are using their rifles/pistols. If you are day or weekend hunting, you may carry significantly less than if you are long hunting in the wilderness for a while, and if you are going to the range to shoot, you may have a whole bunch of stuff you would never take into the field. Search the forum, as there are definitely threads out there about it. You can also YouTube it and watch BlackPowderTV (Bob McBride), Black Powder Maniac Shooter, Duelist1954, etc. most of them are members of this forum. Good luck!

Thank you all for your warm welcome, looking forward to making good use of this forum. Richard gave me a teaser, the stock is curing and will be ready in the spring. I will be using my rifle for target shooting with my buds. Many of them are about as anxious as I am to get it.

Anything is a weapon if you throw it hard enough.

Welcome from TN! That's a beautiful rifle, and will definitely be a ton of fun to shoot.

My friend teased me again, He has some exotic mahogany to build the powder box out of and he told another friend that he is making this whole set as if it were going to be his. Definitely heirloom status. His personal flintlock is museum quality. I never ask, but he mentions it could be before summer. Heart goes pitter-pat.

Still do not, you own a firearm, a weapon is how you use it.

Howdee from the left coast
Thanks. I was a SoCal surfer for several years, mid '60's. San Diego was <500,000. I was thiniking about this. If I use the rifle for target shooting only, it will never be a weapon, but if my friend invites me to go on a deer hunt in muzzle loading season, then it's weapon? or just a hunting rifle? Weapon implies human targets to me, but what do I know? I don't even have the rifle in hand and know nothing about everything, for now.

Latest posts

Back