• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Newbie looking for first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just joined today. I've been a firearms enthusiast for the 40 years I've lived in the great USA but have never ventured into the flintlock world. I have a couple 1860 Army Revolvers that I love to shoot but thats as close as I've gotten. I'm very interested in purchasing both a flintlock rifle as well as a flintlock pistol. From what research I've done, these seem to be relatively hard to find to purchase new. Most places seem to be out of stock.

I do not plan on hunting with them but simply to appreciate the history and experience of shooting them for pure enjoyment. I'm curious as to what suggestions y'all might have for me as to what to purchase.

So far, I've got a pretty close eye on the Dixie Gun Works PR3120 Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle as well as their PH0440 Pedersoli Kentucky Percussion Pistol.

Also, I noticed a Traditions Tennessee rifle for sale in the classifieds section which I inquired about, but am confused as to whether or not the post has been removed.

I appreicate y'alls time and suggestions. Definitely interested in getting involved in all of this.

Hello all,

Just joined today. I've been a firearms enthusiast for the 40 years I've lived in the great USA but have never ventured into the flintlock world. I have a couple 1860 Army Revolvers that I love to shoot but thats as close as I've gotten. I'm very interested in purchasing both a flintlock rifle as well as a flintlock pistol. From what research I've done, these seem to be relatively hard to find to purchase new. Most places seem to be out of stock.

I do not plan on hunting with them but simply to appreciate the history and experience of shooting them for pure enjoyment. I'm curious as to what suggestions y'all might have for me as to what to purchase.

So far, I've got a pretty close eye on the Dixie Gun Works PR3120 Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle as well as their PH0440 Pedersoli Kentucky Percussion Pistol.

Also, I noticed a Traditions Tennessee rifle for sale in the classifieds section which I inquired about, but am confused as to whether or not the post has been removed.

I appreicate y'alls time and suggestions. Definitely interested in getting involved in all of this.
You should reach out to that guy via private message.
Click or tap the little envelope at the top of the screen and follow the prompts.
Welcome from Oklahoma.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how to send a PM. I tap the envelope icon at the top of the screen and all it shows is my conversation history with no option to send a PM

I've never had a traditions or a pedersoli, but have friends with them. They enjoy them. I think the prices of new models is getting pretty close to building a kibler kit or having a semi custom built.

I would choose a Pedersoli over a traditions, if you can afford it. . . IF you can afford a Kibler, then that's one that will never disappoint and always hold its value as a historically correct custom rifle . . .top of the line wood and parts, but quite expensive. But, there are snobs in the ML community as any other . . . not everyone can afford a Kibler or a Chambers, TVM etc . . . If you buy a Traditions or Pedersoli and you like it, that's perfectly fine.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how to send a PM. I tap the envelope icon at the top of the screen and all it shows is my conversation history with no option to send a PM
Try clicking on the profile of the member you wanna message. You'll see a rectangle at the bottom saying "Start Conversation " click on it, go from there.

Good luck.

I have a Traditions, Pedersoli, and Investarms flints. Are they of the quality of the Kibler I’m building now, no, not at all. But they all shoot well. If your Traditions buy falls through and you want an out of the box, ready to shoot gun, I’d recommend an Investarms for the quality and price point. I love my Pedersoli, but the current prices are so high you can buy a Kibler kit for a few hundred more. A lot depends on your mechanical aptitude, because no matter which one you choose they will all benefit from disassembling the lock and trigger assembly and honing and polishing as needed.

Buy a kit is the best advise you can get. The production guns are a pig in a poke. Some get good ones, so get manure like what I had.
There is no comparison between a Chamber or Rice lock, or any of the after market barrels compared to the third world production guns.

Any of those mentioned can work for you just fine. Pedersoli prices have gone out of sight, so the Kibler or even the Traditions sound like the better deal.

I’d like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. I ended up buying a Traditions Tennessee rifle from Texas Gil. Hope to have it in sometime later next week. Thanks again y’all!! I’m in the market for a flintlock pistol too. Gonna get acquainted with the rifle first though

I went flint 2 years ago and purchased a Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle, it has been a great shooter but it's poorly balanced and is lacking aesthetically, it just doesn't have any warmth or character. 2 weeks ago I ordered a kibler SMR kit and it only cost me 200 more than the pedersoli, hindsight being 2020 I should have just gone with the Kibler to begin with.

Chris

I don't have the Traditions but I do have the Pedersoli Kentucky rifle in .45. I had the lock sent out to Brad Emig to get it to stop eating flints (the lock geometry was all wrong). He did good work at a reasonable price but I still had to fiddle with the sear spring to get the trigger pull to where I could predict it. It is a good shooter, is relatively light, about 7 pounds, and now the lock is more reliable.

I have a friend who got the Traditions Hawken kit but he had trouble with the wood on the stock. It developed cracks but they went away after the wood acclimatized itself to the Central Texas climate.

If you have the skills I'd go with the Kibler that's been suggested. I bought the base model Pedersoli frontier last year and while it is a good shooter it lacks the looks of the Kibler and the Pedersoli was only a couple hundred less. I should have sprung for the Kibler especially now that they have the woodsrunner model. Now if you don't want to or don't have the skills to put a rifle together I'd at least spring for the "deluxe" versions of the Pedersoli rifles. Or pay someone to put together a kibler.

Hello all,

Kibler has some 'Quick Ship Kits' available for sale. One is a Woodsrunner. Easiest kit to put together. You can pick your caliber. Kibler guns are very accurate rifles. Semper Fi.

Back