• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Newbie here :) Just bought a Lyman GPR have ?s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patsue

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After several years of stewing about it, I finally took the plunge and bought a Lyman GPR in 50 cal. I found it like new but used at a local gunshop. As soon as we get some decent weather here in Iowa, I am going to go wring it out.

But I have some questions

I would have preferred a 54 but the rifle was on sale for 200 bucks and I thought it was too good a deal to pass up. Where would I order a 54 barrel for it when I am ready that will shoot round ball? Also, does someone make a 1/48 twist barrel for the GPR?

Secondly, I know I will need some extra nipples but no one has the right size for mine. Is there a place to order these from?

Thanks, I am sure these are old questions for you all but I am not quite familier around here yet.

Thanks!

Patsue

I believe Green Mountain makes a drop-in barrel for the GPR. If not directly for a GPR, I think the T/C drop-in barrel can be modified to fit the Lyman.

For nipples and whatnot, check out http://www.trackofthewolf.com
They have lots of stuff there, including barrels.

Have fun with your GPR. I've been considering getting one myself. $200 sounds like a great deal. As for coming in a 1:48 twist, the Lyman Hunter comes in a faster twist but I don't know anything about the interchangeability between the Hunter and the GPR.
And welcome to the forum.

Go to www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

They have all GPR drop-in barrels, and a package of 3 stainles steel nipples for the GPR @ $3.70 or so! Great source for GPR's. I just bought a GPR in .50 cal, left handed.

P.S.: Welcome to the forum and the dark side! I think you'll be hooked with this stuff! :thumbsup:

I believe Green Mountain makes a drop-in barrel for the GPR. If not directly for a GPR, I think the T/C drop-in barrel can be modified to fit the Lyman.
<snip>
myself. $200 sounds like a great deal. As for coming in a 1:48 twist, the Lyman Hunter comes in a faster twist but I don't know anything about the interchangeability between the Hunter and the GPR.

Yes, the 15/16" GM IBS barrels for the TC rifles will fit a GPR with a minor mod{relocating the wedge key lug on the barrel and adding another). Track Of The Wolf will sell you the GM barrel for the best price I know of and do the modification for a reasonable gunsmithing charge. The GM IBS barrels are terrific barrels. I have a .58 on a TC Renegade and it is the most accurate rifle I own. However, the stock Lyman barrels are not shabby. I have a GPR in .54 and it is very accurate, almost as good as the GM .58 I own.

Midsouth Shooters Supply has the stock Lyman GPR barrels for the lowest price I have seen on them. Yes, the faster twist Great Plains Hunter barrels will fit a Great Plains Rifle. The GPH is the same rifle as the GPR except for the barrel. FWIW, I discovered that my GPR will shoot a 300 grn Lee REAL conical as accurately as it shoots balls. I would expect that the .50 would shoot the 250 grn REAL quite accurately, too.

I would suggest that you shoot your GPR with the .50 barrel for some time before you make a change. A .50 ball is more than enough to do the job on whitetail, with a well placed shot. If you want a bit heavier projectile, you could try the 250 grn REAL conical.

As usual, I'm probably giving a lot of information that you and others already know, but maybe someone out there would like to read my thoughts on your .50.

IMO the .50 caliber shooting a patched .490 diameter roundball
will be enough for any hunting you want to do in Iowa.
Unless your going for Elk or Moose, the .54 caliber is a bit of overkill.

If you don't have one, buy a nipple wrench. Other tools won't work nearly as well.

Most people jump to the conclusion that they need new nipples for their gun.
If the one on your gun has about a .030 diameter hole thru it (down towards the threaded end) and if it is not deformed from excessive firing, a new nipple would be low on my priority list.

Go to WalMart and buy some of their blue and white striped pillow ticking, wash it to remove the "sizing" (starch) and cut it into some 1 1/4 inch squares for patches. It will be about .015 thick.

The ramrod that comes with almost all Factory guns is a POS. If your ramrod breaks, not only can you not load your gun, but often the broken ramrod will impale your hand. If this happens it will ruin your whole month.
Buy yourself a good ramrod.

You need to use something for lube. Spit will work for shots which will be fired immediately.
For general use, Bore Butter or similar stuff works fairly well.
If you want to build your own lube check out Stumpkillers "moose snot" using the search button.
Just don't use petrolium greases or oils.

A .490 diameter ball with WalMart pillow ticking will be real hard to start into the barrel. If you don't have a short starter, IMO you should buy one.

When you start shooting, you should have an adjustable powder measure.
For your .50 cal start off with a load of 50 grains of either FFFg, FFg or Pyrodex RS. (Point of interest: a .50 cal with 50 grains of FFg will give you about 1550 Feet/Second muzzle velocity (946 Ft/Lb energy).)
You can work the loads up from there, maxing out at about 100 grains.
Usually as the powder charge goes up, the accuracy goes down, but each gun is different, so shoot it with several loads to find out which one it likes best.

More useful? information:
A 90 grain load of FFg will give you about 2050 Ft/Sec (1655 Ft/Lb energy) If sighted in at 80 yards, all shots from point blank range out to 100 yards will be within 2.2 inches of the point of aim).
:)

Thanks guys for the advice and direction. Looking forward to making some new friends here!

patsue

Welcome too ya!!

Boy you got lot's of info quick didn't ya! Ain't this a great site!!

200$ for a Great Plains Rifle is a GREAT Deal!! (that's the one with a 1'66 twist for round ball right?). The other is the Great Plains Hunter with a 1'32 twist,(for conicals) same darn external barrel size and interchangable with the same stock. Even the .54 cal offered by "mid-south supply" in either twist for the Great Plains model will fit right into your stock!

Zonie is right too! The .50 cal will do just about anything you'll need to do,,sans Grizzley Bear :shocking:.

The 6mm x .75mm nipp for that rifle is fairly common stock at most sporting goods stores, even if ya gotta drive a few miles ta get one.

luck too ya patsue,,welcome to the fever!!

you can go direct to Lyman Products on line and order any and all parts including barrels and fittings.

Where ya at in Iowa? There are some traders around there who may help you. Don ::

I just finished a GPR kit in .54. I bought the .54 just in case I decide to chase elk or bear.

I bought my kit and everything at The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio. I had great service and the store is awesome.

www.logcabinshop.com

My .54 shoots a roundball pretty good with 90 grains of FF powder and a pre-lubed patch. Not sure how the set up for the .50 will differ, but that's my experience. I think you'll really like that gun! :redthumb:

I am in South Central Iowa in Leon.

I think I may just order an extra 54 barrel soon just to have the option.

patsue

Each to his own, but I found my Lyman 50cal. GPR 1-60 twist barrel shot much better than the 1-48 barrel that was on my T/C Hawken. I too though have been tempted to pick up a 54cal. barrel just in case I hunt elk.I would go with a GM barrel myself. Makes more sense though to save my money till I book my hunt.

Back