New Williamsburg Spectacles

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

LRB

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a pair. $15.00 + shipping. They have two piece folding temples, with tear drop loops for a tie ribbon. They have no nose tabs and are very balanced, light weight, and the bridge is easy on the nose. At this time, they come in bright chrome only, with green or blue lenses. Very passable in appearance, but here's the catch. I don't know how these are produced, but there is NO screw, or rivet, holding in the lens. The frames around the lenses have no part in them. They are solid. No visible means to change out lenses. It is my thought that maybe the lenses in these are somehow flexible enough to be forced into the annular lens frame. So, don't buy them with the idea of changing out the lenses for prescription lenses. They are only good if you want period looking sunglasses. I just went to the page I ordered from, and now they are only listing the rectangle Jefferson style glasses, but at only $12.00. http://shop.colonialwilliamsburg.com/Main-category/18th-Century?page=3

Last edited by a moderator:

Crewdawg445

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just actually got mine back yesterday. Very happy with them, certainly would purchase them again but my wife hates them... :idunno:

Townsends price plus prescription lenses I'm in them for about $60.00 and some change.

Silky921

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Yea...because wives typically love all the rendezvous stuff that we spend money on.

Silky921

45 Cal.
Reaction score
They need to start making more ladies like yourself at the factory.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm betting the mold was broken after that one was made :grin:

My wife has a very simple view of living history...,

"I don't see a reason to go where it's hot, and where the bugs live." :shocked2:

My adult daughter shares the aversion to "grass spiders" (and some of them approach mini-tarantula size), but she still goes out with me to living history events. :grin:

LD

Bo T

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Are the green or blue lenses PC for around 1800?

LRB

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes. Apparently also a kind of rose colored lenses. Just FYI for those interested. It seems that Edward Scarlett's temple frames go back to 1714. They are shown on one of his newly discovered business cards. It was previously believed they dated at 1727.