• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New vintage 1860 Army replicas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a lot of guys here are in their 70's not much time to sit around and wait for a deal :ghostly:

so the boxes are worth 2-3 times what the actual pistols are worth?
Colt's have only gone nuts in the last couple years. Before that, they were easy to find well under $1000, usually $500-$700. I imagine a lot of folks bought them before the current pricing insanity.

Colt's have only gone nuts in the last couple years. Before that, they were easy to find well under $1000, usually $500-$700. I imagine a lot of folks bought them before the current pricing insanity.
yes I remember that but the Italian pistols were also cheaper then

They won't fit in a Ruger.
The conversion cyls he's talking about are for open top revolvers.

Mike
if you shoot a conversion cylinder in an open top better bring tools with you cause everything will shoot loose including the wedge. Rem New Army much better for a conversion cylinder

Both are good and shootable out of the box. Great guns, but they each have little things that need tinkering. I had a 2020 Pietta, it needed a taller front sight. That one shot balls very well, i could put them in a 3 inch circle offhand at 25 yards. My 21 Uberti does a,most as well, but needs tinkering. Me, im after performance first. The purpose of shooting is to hit things, not just make noise. Out of the box, with ball, Pietta. I only sold mine cause i couldnt load conicals on the gun, and i bought it to hunt with.

Yeah, no. I've been shooting conversions for years.

You're also responding to a guy that builds and tunes these guns. ;)
yea after you throw a couple of 100 into them maybe. in the new edition of firearms news a guy tested the ricardson conversion kits firing weak rounds as the originals did. there is no way an open top is stronger then the Remington. why didnt colt keep the prehistoric open top and wedge when they made the 1873 in 45 colt?

Uh, no. All you're really doing is paying somebody to cut the loading port in the frame, correct timing issues when going from a six to a five shot and do the tuning the guns need anyway. Not really doing anything to keep it from falling apart, as you imply.

Nobody said they were stronger than Remingtons but you're implying that they're made out of Play-doh, which they are not. Else Kirst wouldn't be marketing a new conversion cylinder in a 21,000psi cartridge.

Colt went to a solid frame because that's what the Army asked for.

Both are good and shootable out of the box. Great guns, but they each have little things that need tinkering. I had a 2020 Pietta, it needed a taller front sight. That one shot balls very well, i could put them in a 3 inch circle offhand at 25 yards. My 21 Uberti does a,most as well, but needs tinkering. Me, im after performance first. The purpose of shooting is to hit things, not just make noise. Out of the box, with ball, Pietta. I only sold mine cause i couldnt load conicals on the gun, and i bought it to hunt with.
That's the one thing I wish they'd change, the front sight height.

Uh, no. All you're really doing is paying somebody to cut the loading port in the frame, correct timing issues when going from a six to a five shot and do the tuning the guns need anyway. Not really doing anything to keep it from falling apart, as you imply.

Nobody said they were stronger than Remingtons but you're implying that they're made out of Play-doh, which they are not. Else Kirst wouldn't be marketing a new conversion cylinder in a 21,000psi cartridge.

Colt went to a solid frame because that's what the Army asked for.
maybe cause the army knew they were stronger and a screwed in barrel was way better then a wedge holding the barrel in. do you mind saying what it would cost to do your work for the conversion? I never said the guns would fall apart but shoot themselves loose which if not corrected could lead to failure. if you can read the article about the colts in firearms news/shotgun news. do not take this as an attack on you I am sure you do great work on the pistols

If I buy ( I did ) a reproduction from a foreign country I’m not so worried about the ugly stamping on the barrel. These ( mine ) I bought with overtime money and like the other repos’ I have purchased I’m only interested in performance. If I want a pretty one I would invest in nice Colt.
See I’m a lazy guy now. I’m not in the army no more and the repos’ I have purchased I don’t care if leave it in the holster for weeks or if it’s spic and span. Cleaned enough to mitigate corrosion after that ? I’m done.
Being said - I have an unmentionable new fangled automatic pistol I do clean like it was Govt’ property.
All about what I spent for me. Spend over 500? You can bet it’s perfect.
My “go out in the woods at my buddy’s farm pistol”? Not so much. Sure the markings aren’t pretty. Shoots damn well. What I was after.
People that don’t like the markings that’s fine with me. They spent the money ? They decide. None my business as long as they have a good time and are safe who cares except them. As it should be..

Attachments

• E010F57F-8757-4846-BBB4-700FF6AEFBDE.jpeg
    E010F57F-8757-4846-BBB4-700FF6AEFBDE.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
If I buy ( I did ) a reproduction from a foreign country I’m not so worried about the ugly stamping on the barrel. These ( mine ) I bought with overtime money and like the other repos’ I have purchased I’m only interested in performance. If I want a pretty one I would invest in nice Colt.
See I’m a lazy guy now. I’m not in the army no more and the repos’ I have purchased I don’t care if leave it in the holster for weeks or if it’s spic and span. Cleaned enough to mitigate corrosion after that ? I’m done.
Being said - I have an unmentionable new fangled automatic pistol I do clean like it was Govt’ property.
All about what I spent for me. Spend over 500? You can bet it’s perfect.
My “go out in the woods at my buddy’s farm pistol”? Not so much. Sure the markings aren’t pretty. Shoots damn well. What I was after.
People that don’t like the markings that’s fine with me. They spent the money ? They decide. None my business as long as they have a good time and are safe who cares except them. As it should be..
I recentl got a New Army Rem with I think a 5" barrel. it was beautifully finished and cocks smooth as silk. so they are not truck guns that you throw in the bed. they are well enough made to be taken care of but you can do what you want with yours

maybe cause the army knew they were stronger and a screwed in barrel was way better then a wedge holding the barrel in. do you mind saying what it would cost to do your work for the conversion? I never said the guns would fall apart but shoot themselves loose which if not corrected could lead to failure. if you can read the article about the colts in firearms news/shotgun news. do not take this as an attack on you I am sure you do great work on the pistols
45D is the one that builds and tunes them, not me. That said, I think you have a good many misconceptions about these guns but cartridges are off topic for this forum.

I just bought and read the article in question. Dude is talking about screws coming loose, which can happen to any single action revolver on the market. I have 72 single actions of all shapes and sizes and it's just part of the game. I've had the exact gun from the article for 15yrs and it's no different from any other. In fact, it's currently in pieces because the barrel has been sent off for chopping, the grip frame and receiver are at the gripmaker and when it comes back together, it's all going to the engraver.

I just bought and read the article in question. Dude is talking about screws coming loose, which can happen to any single action revolver on the market. I have 72 single actions of all shapes and sizes and it's just part of the game. I've had the exact gun from the article for 15yrs and it's no different from any other. In fact, it's currently in pieces because the barrel has been sent off for chopping, the grip frame and receiver are at the gripmaker and when it comes back together, it's all going to the engraver.
Hey, I here ya about the loose screws! The worst screws to get loose though are the action screws! If they get loose, timing goes weird ( especially on a tuned action)!! I get rid of that by installing "interference pins". They lock the action screws in position so you can shoot till the cows come home and not need a screw driver!

Mike

I've had guns that turn the action screws every time you cock the hammer but really have trouble with the grip frame screws. I normally don't notice until I feel it rattle, then I tighten them and move on with my life. I guess I could degrease the whole thing and loctite them but then it's a never ending saga every time I get a wild hair and want to change a spring or swap the grips. :p

They won't fit in a Ruger.
The conversion cyls he's talking about are for open top revolvers.

Mike
Kirst does make cartridge convertible cylinders for the Ruger old army (ROA). Both with and without a loading gate. They also offer versions for open top guns. Not sure where your comment was going but I do know they don’t interchange.

Cause it's cheaper to manufacture not stronger.
Ever notice how today's cars don't look like T- models?

Anyway, an open top revolver built correctly ( mainly the arbor "connection" ) is a very robust design . . . every bit as strong as the Remington.
I'll be "updating" as I go down this road. Walt is a happy guy and rightly so!!

Mike

Kirst does make cartridge convertible cylinders for the Ruger old army (ROA). Both with and without a loading gate. They also offer versions for open top guns. Not sure where your comment was going but I do know they don’t interchange.
Well, Kirst makes a cylinder for ROA'S but not gated ones. I'm finishing up a gated prototype for Walt so . . .

All my ROA'S have conversion cyls in them and they're all tack drivers!!

Where I was going with my comment was the particular cylinder mentioned won't fit on a Ruger.

Mike

Not in the case of the Butterfield revolvers. The gun is usually sold for 5-600 without the box. (Actually a book containing the revolver, and a spare cylinder.) The last one I’m aware of sold for 900 plus the various fees, so probably about 1100.

View attachment 151565View attachment 151566View attachment 151567
Hi Bad Karma,
Please tell me (PM is perfectly acceptable) where you saw some of these Butterfield Commemoratives for sale. I have two of them I am trying to sell and I want to know where I can advertise and sell them. Thank you very much in advance.
Jayhawk

I have 7 2nd Gen Colts and 2 or 3 3rd gens. , 4 Uberti's and a bunch of Piettas. Then flint and percussion single shot pistols, rifles and a shotgun. I got most of my Colts 6 to 8 years ago at a reasonable price and a couple in the last two years at a higher price. 45 Dragoon has done some and has more. Out of the box, the Piettas shot fine. My Uberti 36 Remington sucked from day one. My 1848 Uberti Dragoon is great because Mike tuned it and my Uberti Walker has only had about 3 cylinders through it.

Back