• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New used rifle arrived!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine out deer hunting, and lost the rod on the third drive. It was nice rod too. I tried to find it, but a brown stick is not easy to find in a forest. Anyway I went with a derlin rod that I had to sand down to fit. It is pretty snug.

Well done Track of the wolf! Rifle arrived two days early and was exactly as you describe it would be. Totally pleased and Thank You!! This one is a female in 36 cal. I haven’t settled totally on a name but being a Lancaster Rifle, think I may call her Red Rose, Rosebud or simply Rosie. Votes and opinions welcome!! 😊
Very nice.

On my recent 54 Lancaster from TVM, the groups really tightened up using a 15 patch instead of an 18. Big change. I also lapped the barrel with some lapping compound, and I think that helps with preventing patch cutting. Mine shoots very well. Super quick.
I was not so happy at first, and those small changes were dramatic. So I bet your next range session will bring progress.

On my recent 54 Lancaster from TVM, the groups really tightened up using a 15 patch instead of an 18. Big change. I also lapped the barrel with some lapping compound, and I think that helps with preventing patch cutting. Mine shoots very well. Super quick.
I was not so happy at first, and those small changes were dramatic. So I bet your next range session will bring progress.
Thanks for the advice. Retrieving fired 0.015” patches showed no patch cutting or burn through. Will find out next time how the 0.018” pillow ticking does and report back after the next range session. I have also have a Lancaster in 50 cal made by Cabin Creek. It has a Green Mountain barrel and loves a 0.495 ball with a 0.015 patch lubed with ox yoke firing 90 volume measured grain of FF

Rumor has it, the .36 caliber rifle is going extinct. But I'm sure you took that into consideration. :)

Got “Rosebud” to the range for the first time. First load work up trial at 50 yards on a bench with 30 grains FFF Goex, 350 cal hornady pure lead round ball and a cotton 0.15 mink oil lubed patch.
I have a Poor Boy in .36 caliber that has killed more Mule Deer than any two other guns I have in a 10 year period. I shoot game with this rifle out to 100 yards using 55 grains FFF Goex, .350 cal. Hornady (lead round ball) and a cotton 0.15 oiled lubed patch. This load sound like a .22 Hornet going off and is very acturate, drops a 165 -180 lb. mulie in its tracks (all about ball placement). The old saying about a man with one gun comes to mind. ;)

I lived on 300 acres next door to 10,000 acres that was fenced and private. Had access to that ground too, (it had one side of Rossevelt National Park land locked making pretty nice private hunting for a very few). That's how using an illegal caliber and getting away with could happen. That was 30 years ago for shooting big game with a small caliber muzzleloader. Since then the large piece of ground has been purchased by a church group and I got divorced and lost access to the 300 acres. :confused:,,, 😩 ...

Now I have to play by the rules like everyone else but I really do miss those old days .... .😭 just something about the run and hide thing was enjoyable.

Back