• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New UPS Regs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not 100% Positive but in todays World with Home Security I imagine they might. The Pistol with the circle slash on the wall pretty much cements their position on it.
Just tell the Postmaster, "Golly Gee, you didn't have a shotgun or a rifle with the circle thingy on it".

For my own clarity, I wrote UPS, and received a reply.

Thank you for contacting us. I understand that you would like to have more information on the requirements to ship firearms such as rifles, revolvers and pistols.

• For a firearm to be considered “antique”, it must be manufactured in or before 1898 or be any replica of an antique firearm, or a muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute which cannot use fixed ammunition
  • Antique firearms may be shipped in the UPS system, and do not carry the same “NDA-only” restriction.
  • Antique firearms are accepted for shipment at The UPS Store and other UPS third party retailers, UPS Customer Centers, and through On-Call Pickup service.
If further details are required, you may visit our website article, which contains details on the shipment of firearms within the US.

How To Ship Firearms | UPS - United States

I hope that this information has been helpful.

For my own clarity, I wrote UPS, and received a reply.

Thank you for contacting us. I understand that you would like to have more information on the requirements to ship firearms such as rifles, revolvers and pistols.

• For a firearm to be considered “antique”, it must be manufactured in or before 1898 or be any replica of an antique firearm, or a muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute which cannot use fixed ammunition
  • Antique firearms may be shipped in the UPS system, and do not carry the same “NDA-only” restriction.
  • Antique firearms are accepted for shipment at The UPS Store and other UPS third party retailers, UPS Customer Centers, and through On-Call Pickup service.
If further details are required, you may visit our website article, which contains details on the shipment of firearms within the US.

How To Ship Firearms | UPS - United States

I hope that this information has been helpful.
Thanks!

Just look at New York’s updated definition of muzzle loaders. Pretty soon sling shots, arrows, rocks and darts will also be regulated.

The whole FFL thing to me, wouldnt work, or even be a justified regulation anyhow unless the shipper and receiver had an FFL. (Leave BP guns out of this)

You can cut and paste UPS regs all day long, but wether or not the weapon gets seized or not is up to the how the employee views the reg him or herself. You have an over cautious or" I dont like guns" supervisor or employee, they will view that reg not in our favor, BP or not, just parts or not

I think it’s safe to say we can ship our BP Pistols or Rifles through USPS or UPS or FedEx without issue.

I'm dealing with this at the moment. I just won an auction for a muzzleloading rifle and the seller is being told by UPS it needs a prepaid label from an FFL dealer to ship. The seller apparently has shipped muzzleloaders via UPS a number of times and is trying to resolve this.

I had a problem in the recent past trying to ship a 21" barrel only to Bobby Hoyt, UPS balked, shipping it as a pipe.

For over twenty years I shipped parts UPS with no problems, For the last year I have had to ship "flyrods" instead of ramrods, and "music boxes" instead of locks. "High pressure water pipes " instead of barrels. etc.

I recently shipped a rifle stock only back to the client after some work had been done on it. He asked for it to be shipped via FedEx Ground with a declared value of $4000. When presenting it at a FedEx office, I was questioned about the contents due to the high declared value and said it contained a custom rifle stock only. The manager said it would be x-rayed at the terminal, and if it was a firearm, there would be consequences, but at the time I didn't pay much attention to what she said, and now wish I had. So, evidently, anything suspicious does indeed get zapped!

So what happens when one buys a BP gun from Midway that uses UPS? This FFL TO FFL thing by them is ridiculous. Their site says one thing and then the shipping places are saying differently. Sounds like they have a communication problem .

Apologies for a long posting... ... ...
Having had MORE than enough problems with UK firearms Laws I now find out that there are problems in France because of confusion in terminology, so one must be extra careful.
I will HAVE to refer to "unmentionables" to explain ... ...

"Armes au feu aux poudre noir" WERE readily available, -- a close friend had bought a Shiloh Sharps in .45-110 as "libre" and several years later realised that as it WAS a B-L - albeit designed for Black powder ammunition -- that it was not eligible and required "declaration" to the local authorities. As he still had his European Firearms Pass he brought it back to the UK, where it is entered on his Firearm Certificate as a Section 1 Firearm. Sadly he has had a heart bypass so the rifle sits in my RFD (=FFL) gunroom near our NRA's Bisley Ranges, complete with a set of MVA sights and might eventually get back where it belongs in the USA.

The FIREARM definition in US Federal Law exempts "antiques" made pre 1899 (NOT pre-98 as some would have it) and SOME repros if ammunition is not available in the normal channels of trade. That in itself creates a problem, because one can purchase many modern manufacture "obsolete calibers" such as .44R. .45 Schofield from companies like Black Hills and others. Clearly also carrying a LOADED M-L is likely to be a problem.

Of course the politicians and "antis" LOVE this situation as they can cloud the issue with ambiguous definitions and the lawyers have a field-day.

I have experienced problems of this type in the past, trying to bring/send US-Antique firearms for aution at Amoskeag, Manchester, NH (I have trusted Jason since he started -- - a very different man from his late father!). Because they are not "firearms" under Federal Law the BATF&E say that they cannot issue an Import License -- - so the UK Authorities say that they can't give an Export Licence (note the two spellings) . Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

All that I can suggest is that we all carefully check the ACTUAL Laws & Regulations in any jurisdiction that we are likely to be in -- possibly politely asking the AG or Sheriff for a written ruling. A pain in the butt for us law-abiding people but preferable to having one's collar felt (London Police term.)

ATB
Jim H.

I live in Washington state, which the anti-gunowner fanatics are promising to make the nation's first "gun-free" state. (It has already redefined all semi-auros, .22 included, as "assault weapons" and imposed 30-day waiting periods for modern firearm purchases even for those of us with CPLs.) Local UPS just sabotaged an ML shipment from Midway -- claims a "sorting error" interrupted the delivery, which a retired UPS supervisor tells me means a human intervened in the robotic process. Midway tells me UPS says they've put a five-day hold on a delivery originally promised 2 October, but UPS won't give me a delivery date. Also, I hear UPS now demands ID and signature for all packages shipped by any gun dealer; this is devastatingly problematical as I live in a (securely locked) apartment building wherein delivery drivers are not allowed beyond the foyer. In other words, unless I happen to be in the foyer when the delivery is made, there's no way I can receive it. Also, knowing local UPS, I cannot dismiss the possibility the package has been opened and the contents rendered un-serviceable. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Don't believe it paranoid to suspicion that ammo (and components) may be next. News feeds carry "shootings" nationwide today that wouldn't make page three (obituaries) a few years ago. Gun control takes focus away from failures in other areas.

Question comes to mind...How will carriers determine whether or not the sender and/or receiver of a package is, indeed, a current FFL holder?

They will simply ask to see the FFL. 1971, I bought a brass 51 Navy from Century International and it was shipped UPS. The driver walked up to me and asked if I had an FFL. When I explained it was a replica cap & ball revolver he handed it to me with a smile and a "have a pleasant day". I even offered to open it for him to see but he said no; it was a different time back then. As I understand it currently they will not accept a firearm from anyone who doesn't have a contract with them and an FFL on file with them.

I shipped a muzzle loader 2 weeks ago using UPS. The employee asked what was in the box, after I answered she said we will just call it a antique. The other party received it 4 days later.

Back