• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New UK Member.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Certus

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,
I live in the UK and have been shooting reproduction muzzle loading revolvers since the 1997 ban on the ownership of breech loading pistols and revolvers in this country.
Although I have a Ruger Old Army, I also have a couple of Uberti Remington 1858 NMAs, one of which I have had converted to smokeless (nitro) powder so that it can be used at indoor ranges should the weather not be suitable for outdoor use.
Although many pistol shooters here couldn't put up with the perceived mess and faffing associated with muzzle loading, I have found it to require little additional effort and to be every bit as rewarding as shooting modern revolvers.
Look forward to sharing the experience with like minded shooters on this forum.
Brian

Hi Certus
Welcome from a UK black powder shooter but my advice read the rules and regulations of this muzzle loading forum concerning smokeless powders and breech loaders
Feltwad

Welcome to the forum Certus. :)

Right you are Feltwad. In reading the forum rules one will find the Muzzleloading Forum is a Traditional forum where discussing all forms of shooting and reenacting of things that existed before 1866 is encouraged but things like cartridge guns, and later developments are frowned on.

Here's a link to the Forum's rules

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/forum-rules.108881/

Hi,
I live in the UK and have been shooting reproduction muzzle loading revolvers since the 1997 ban on the ownership of breech loading pistols and revolvers in this country.
Although I have a Ruger Old Army, I also have a couple of Uberti Remington 1858 NMAs, one of which I have had converted to smokeless (nitro) powder so that it can be used at indoor ranges should the weather not be suitable for outdoor use.
Although many pistol shooters here couldn't put up with the perceived mess and faffing associated with muzzle loading, I have found it to require little additional effort and to be every bit as rewarding as shooting modern revolvers.
Look forward to sharing the experience with like minded shooters on this forum.
Brian
Welcome from East Sussex. UK

Hi Certus
Welcome from a UK black powder shooter but my advice read the rules and regulations of this muzzle loading forum concerning smokeless powders and breech loaders
Feltwad
Hi,
The comments included in my introduction were only intended to provide some background to my transition to muzzle loading firearms. Even if the draconian laws in this country were to be relaxed, I would continue shooting muzzle loaders rather than return to breech loading firearms.
Brian

Welcome!
I presume that your nom-de-plume is based on a Coggswell & Harrison rifle -- the "Certus" -- SHOCK, HORROR!! It was a breechloader.
You would be welcome to the Surrey Branch of the MLAGB. Once we get over "social distancing" ( I so HATE these trendy slogans invented by the spin-doctors!) we will return to our monthly meetings at the L&MRA Clubhouse at Bisley. We do have an excellent website run by George Tondryk.

Welcome!
I presume that your nom-de-plume is based on a Coggswell & Harrison rifle -- the "Certus" -- SHOCK, HORROR!! It was a breechloader.
You would be welcome to the Surrey Branch of the MLAGB. Once we get over "social distancing" ( I so HATE these trendy slogans invented by the spin-doctors!) we will return to our monthly meetings at the L&MRA Clubhouse at Bisley. We do have an excellent website run by George Tondryk.
Hi Jim,
I have a collection of vintage air guns including a rare, pre-war Cogswell & Harrison air pistol also sold as the Certus. What a renowned sporting gun maker such as Cogswell & Harrison were doing messing about with air guns I don't know, but it wasn't a success due to overwhelming competition from Webley and some potential infringements of their patents. I have been an MLAGB member for 25 years and entered postal competitions via an affiliated club before they lost their outdoor range. I've been lucky enough to find another club within a reasonable distance, but confine myself to club competitions these days. I will take a look at your website as we don't have an MLAGB branch in Sussex. I remember making a point of visiting the MLAGB clubhouse during Arms Fairs at Bisley before the NRA alienated yet another group of shooters for purely commercial purposes.
Brian

Hello,
I live in Worthing West Sussex, but have to travel about 30 miles or so to the outdoor range I use.
Brian
Hi Brian. I’m from East Sussex. Used to shoot on a lovely outdoor range at Steyning, but it closed many years ago. Whereat do you shoot. Always looking for ranges not too far from home

Hi Brian. I’m from East Sussex. Used to shoot on a lovely outdoor range at Steyning, but it closed many years ago. Whereat do you shoot. Always looking for ranges not too far from home
Hello,
I'm a member of the Novio Magnum Pistol Club at Chichester where I used to shoot regularly on both indoor and outdoor ranges. Unfortunately, we lost our outdoor range at Goodwood a couple of years ago. We subsequently converted our indoor range to accommodate large calibre firearms, but the ventilation isn't up to black powder shooting. We are still looking for an alternative outdoor site, but thankfully I managed to find another club (Havant) just a few miles further down the road where has indoor ranges and outdoor ranges at both 50 and 100yds. I have Uberti 1858 NMA revolver converted to nitro, so can still shoot that indoors should I ever wish to do that.
Brian

Hi. I’m a member of the MLAGB and at present, my branch travel up to The Wedgenock range near Warwick, where we can shoot at 25/50/100yds. Pistol rifle and musket. Oh and model canon as well
Stay safe
Simon

Hi. I’m a member of the MLAGB and at present, my branch travel up to The Wedgenock range near Warwick, where we can shoot at 25/50/100yds. Pistol rifle and musket. Oh and model canon as well
Stay safe
Simon
I have been an individual member of the MLAGB for over 25 years and entered postal competitions through an affiliated club. The nearest MLAGB Branch to me would be Kent & Sussex, but although I continue to be a member, I confine myself to club competitions these days.
Brian

Latest posts

Back