• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New TVM .36 cal. early Va zero'd

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got out with the rifle by myself this morning. No distractions.
Took my cleaning cradle and a file along with all the regular needed items to shoot. Set a target out at 25 yards for this rifle. Squirrel head size target. Shoot, file. Shoot file, etc. Took 15 shots to get it where I wanted it to hit the target. The middle of course. Load was 30 grns of 3FG and PRB lubed with totw mink oil. Spit patched between each shot, two patches down the barrel each shot. As an aside I shot three shots with 20 grns of 3FG to see what would happen. At 25 yards both the 30 grn and 20 grn shot to the same place.

This will be a hunting gun as well as a plinker and I'll not shoot it over 35 to 40 yards at live targets. Sights are small and I have 74 year old eyes that see ok but not exceptionally well. It was a really good morning, light breeze, sunny, 75 degrees. Perfect. My day has been stellar so far. Hope your's is too.

Got out with the rifle by myself this morning. No distractions.
Took my cleaning cradle and a file along with all the regular needed items to shoot. Set a target out at 25 yards for this rifle. Squirrel head size target. Shoot, file. Shoot file, etc. Took 15 shots to get it where I wanted it to hit the target. The middle of course. Load was 30 grns of 3FG and PRB lubed with totw mink oil. Spit patched between each shot, two patches down the barrel each shot. As an aside I shot three shots with 20 grns of 3FG to see what would happen. At 25 yards both the 30 grn and 20 grn shot to the same place.

This will be a hunting gun as well as a plinker and I'll not shoot it over 35 to 40 yards at live targets. Sights are small and I have 74 year old eyes that see ok but not exceptionally well. It was a really good morning, light breeze, sunny, 75 degrees. Perfect. My day has been stellar so far. Hope your's is too.
Good morning Mushka
Do you have any experience you can share on small game hunting with a .36, maybe as opposed to .32? Specifically details loads/performance on small game meat animals. I am trying to decide between .32 and .36 (TVM or TOTW, haven't decided that yet either) and I read lots of folks say the .36 will just explode the squirrel/rabbit. Some even say the .36 "likes hot loads" and they cant get them to shoot with anything under like 30-38 grains. I'm not sure why this would be the only caliber unable to shoot a light load. I mean, plenty of ppl here shoot small animals with .40+, they just work the charge down. I would really like to see your rifle too! Just to see an actual product from them, as opposed to churched up stock photos on the site. Was it a build, or did they make it for you? Thanks in advance, and good day to you as well!

While I killed more squirrels with a .32, I like my .36 better for this job. Much of that has to do with the rifle more than with the caliber. In the .32 the best load seemed to be 30 grains of 3F. But in the .36 I found 20 grains did as well as the heavier charge. 25 to 30 yards is a good sight-in distance for both. I've easily hit targets at more than 80 yards with the .36 and 20 grains load. head shots are best but mid body hits work just fine, too.

While I killed more squirrels with a .32, I like my .36 better for this job. Much of that has to do with the rifle more than with the caliber. In the .32 the best load seemed to be 30 grains of 3F. But in the .36 I found 20 grains did as well as the heavier charge. 25 to 30 yards is a good sight-in distance for both. I've easily hit targets at more than 80 yards with the .36 and 20 grains load. head shots are best but mid body hits work just fine, too.
Hey thanks. I didnt intend to hi-jack your thread mushka, just saw an opportunity to ask a relevant question. I'll just say that I am brand new to small bore ml'ers, only getting one(let's be honest, probably several) because of state laws where I recently moved. It's turning into a positive though, I've always been interested in the "old" ways of doing things. Plus i like history, and the added challenge..most of the ppl talking down the .36 for small game seem to be speaking strictly anecdotally, and none of it made much sense to me(I guess your reply is also anecdotal). Maybe I'll make my own thread to get others to make their case. Logically, it didnt make sense why the .36 would be some outlier incapable of customizing loads. Unless there is a factor/s(twist, size/length/weight of ball, or a combination of several)that I am unaware of. Thanks again.

Gus, The .36 has it all over the .32 when it comes to hunting. By that I mean that although the .32 is capable of a great deal more power than some would think, the .36 takes it to another level. For a dedicated squirrel rifle the .32 is a natural. The .36 needs more attention to a light load while a .311" ball does well with a wider range of loads. For small game I consider them about equal; I just really like my .36 SMR. Either will serve you well and basically, you won't be able to tell much difference in the field. The .32 pills are tiny and I fumble them a lot; the 36 balls, not so much.

Gus, I haven't shot a squirrel with the .36 but I have shot rabbits. I used my .30 grn load in the Seneca and it was somewhat destructive if hitting bone. Head shots fine. With this new rifle I found that the 20 grn powder load shot to the same point of aim as the 30 grn load at 25 yards. When I'm able to hunt with the new rifle I'll just use the 20 gn load. No long distance shooting with this rifle. Whether you choose the .36 or the .32 cal rifle you will be pleasantly surprised. I've both but I prefer the .36. You didn't hijack anything, you just asked a good question.

Me and a buddy got Pedersoli rifles at the same time. I got a .32, he got a .36. He later said he wish he'd got a .32, I think because of meat damage. With my .32, 20 grains does the job quite well.

Me and a buddy got Pedersoli rifles at the same time. I got a .32, he got a .36. He later said he wish he'd got a .32, I think because of meat damage. With my .32, 20 grains does the job quite well.
Which ones? I'm seriously considering the scout carbine in .32 kit. I do have a suspicion that a Penn, or Frontier rifle would "fit" me better, but the price difference is substantial. My "perfect" gun right now would be something like a TVM in .32 or .36. Just too much change to spend right now for what I would get(wood upgrade, swamped barrel, "basic" kit). Plus, I can save $400-500 if I get the kit, however.. I dont trust myself to drop $12-1300 on a kit being a novice. So, Pedersoli it will be. And if I successfully complete that, and also feel the need, I will do a TVM build.

Mine came from Cabela's. I replaced the brass with iron to give it a SML look. (poorly replaced, I might add.) Still, it looks pretty dang good.

Back