• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

new tumbler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Kentucky that must be 30 years old. The half cock notch kept breaking. I welded it up and recut the half cock notch, and re-hardened it a few times. I contacted Flintlocks Etc. who is a Pedersoli distributer, and was told that these locks and parts are no longer available. Since my outing last week with my smooth bore I found out that I need a lighter flintlock. This Pedersoli weighs about 6 pounds, if I can get it back in service, I intend to send the barrel to Bob Hoyt and have him make a 28 gauge smooth bore out of it. I need a smooth bore because of the Pennsy game laws. I will do for small game and deer. I don't need a rifle for deer as 50 yards is a far shot. Any Ideas for rejuvenating the lock? I chatted with Brit Smoothie as he uses a 45 cal. Smooth bore. At this point of my life I have to be very frugal with my money.

Would grinding the notches a bit undersized and then filling with a hard surface welding electrode like a 4010, then grinding again to normal size solve that issue? That would be what I would try anyway. The 4010 works fine on cast iron and there are others that would as well.

Would grinding the notches a bit undersized and then filling with a hard surface welding electrode like a 4010, then grinding again to normal size solve that issue? That would be what I would try anyway. The 4010 works fine on cast iron and there are others that would as well.

After welding and recutting the notches I used Casenit to harden it. If nothing else I will normalize the tumbler a couple of times before I try to weld it up.

Back