• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new travelling camp table

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i just finished my new wheelbarrow. 18th century. no modern nails or screws. its made from birch that i felled and dimensioned at stink dog creek. hand planed planks and rails. it should be good to move stuff in and out of camp, then i can use it as a table at my shelter.

Attachments

• IMG_4142.JPG
    IMG_4142.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4143.JPG
    IMG_4143.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 141
solid gudgeons in the wheel. they are sandwiched into iron plates on the frame that i drilled through the flat centre, not really a bearinged type pillowblock. then mounted with homemade hardware. i made it all.
most of the images i found show the axle going through the frame of the wheelbarrow but i wanted to be able to remove the wheel if i have a failure of some sort.

Attachments

• IMG_4144.JPG
    IMG_4144.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 113
yeah i had thought of that. i don't know about the oil hole but i think the grease channel would have been used on wagons.
might happen as long as my wife doesn't make off to her garden with it

its about trying to make something out of the 1700s so i don't know if a zerk fits that bill. i think to grease it, some sort of rendered down animal fat would have been used by smearing it onto the gudgeions.
most illustrations show the gudgeons through the wooden frame, maybe a bushing in there , but i think probably just the axle riding on the wood, greasing that would be a matter of squishing grease in there with ones fingers.

i could make that bearing out of hard wood, pin and wedge it to the frame which might be more accurate. i need to make it removable for maintenance.

i just finished my new wheelbarrow. 18th century. no modern nails or screws. its made from birch that i felled and dimensioned at stink dog creek. hand planed planks and rails. it should be good to move stuff in and out of camp, then i can use it as a table at my shelter.
Really well done ! As as fan of traditional woodworking as well as traditional ML's my hats off to you.

Thanks
O.R.

Thanks!

SDC Is a little place north east of Entwhisle Alberta.
Named because of our dog always rolling in manure, Moose, deer, horse, cow, elk, any kind of manure. And also the curiosity the dog has with skunks that occasionally visit us.
Ou
Tom

Back