• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NEW Traditions Mountain rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
meanmike said:
Some days a good three shot group is worth bragging about.
Michael

True. After hunting season I'll have time to sit down and really do some home work on the accuracy of the rifle.

It has the 1:48 twist but it shoots SOLID with heavier charges.

FML said:
well at over $300 for 100 targets, I will gladly patch up old holes from previous shooting sessions.

That target is 17" diameter so I have plenty of room for shooting multiple guns and groups. When the holes get to big, its either a new target or duck tape.

Next time I'll use my video camera and shut him up :haha:

I already have a video of me popping jugs at 75 yards off my shooting sticks, so its not all that hard once a rifle is dialed in a shooting fine.
I love that excuse.....$3.00 a target. :shocked2: Why not just shoot dollar bills? if you could even hit one.
A ream of paper has 500 sheets and cost about $7.00
Who spends $3.00 on a single target and then tries to convince me that they are "thrifty" by reusing them... :youcrazy:

I've also seen you jug shooting video....is that the one where you where shooting thor sabots?
Full disclosure time.... :hmm:

I can't hardly believe someone tried to turn a topic about the new Mountain Rifle into a debate about what target to use and how much of it needs to be shown in a picture. :shake:

Whether the target shown would qualify for some judged shooting event or not shouldn't, IMO, be an issue unless it was being held up as a representation of some shooting match somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for posting your comments and your pictures.
I'm sure most of us enjoyed seeing them. :)

Nice post. To FML I am glad you are enjoying your new rifle and will look for to your further testing and follow up posts. Good luck with your hunting season.
Michael

FML: That's some good shooting.

BTW: Judging from the shot on a 175 pound hog i saw FML make with his flintlock and patched round ball, he's a top notch game shot too.

Hey, glad to hear positive reviews on the rifle, which is exactly why I posted. Glad to see the accuracy potential of these guns. Thanks FML for the range report.

I'm glad they shoot pretty good. They look pretty good too. How do you like the sights?

I thought I was going to read three pages about a new rifle. Instead I got two pages about a target, come on.

DNS said:
I thought I was going to read three pages about a new rifle. Instead I got two pages about a target, come on.

Well!, At least you didn't post something off topic to contribute to the decline of the posting.... Oh wait!...You did!.

My criticism of the targets is valid because we are talking about the accuracy of a new gun. Shoot-N-See targets don't produce clean bullet holes. The breakaway of the exterior color of the target exposing the underlying color, make the bullets look twice as big or bigger than they really are.....This creates the illusion of a much smaller group size than it actually appears. Zooming in on the target only makes this even worse.
If I were going to purchase one, I would want an accurate review of the guns accuracy. A clean target with at least a 5 shot group, With a center to center measurement. I also want more than one target and shooter results. From my estimate that 17" target has at least a 6" bullseye, making the accuracy results less than impressive.....
You won't have an accurate gun or become a better shooter by demanding and accepting less.......

I used to have a Traditions catalogue from must have been the early 90's which showed a two-keyed Hawken style rifle with a long tang and different patch box than this gun. I've seen a similar Ardesa (less patch box) on auction once or twice. Wondering if this isn't pretty much the same gun?

Back