• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Traditions Kentucky rifle…problem!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiltman20

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just got the chance to shoot my new rifle. Fired 4 shots, 45 gr to 60 gr.. Now I have a broken gun. Big ole crack! Calling Traditions on Monday.

Attachments

• C6F84582-4E43-4C51-A266-3D692E636B49.jpeg
    C6F84582-4E43-4C51-A266-3D692E636B49.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 177
That is too bad, even if it were an old junky rifle, let alone a new one! Are you sure you did not exert excessive force on the RR, or have the rifle at a angle instead of straight up when loading the ball? Just trying to see what the issue could be.
Larry

It's a 50 cal. .490 ball with .15 patches. I didn't even notice the crack until after I got home. Gun rode in the floor board of the backseat area of my truck, in a padded case.

My guess is a stress fracture that was created during manufacturing and showed up after shooting. That is an odd spot to break due to shooting.

Found another crack. I didn't see it on the opposite side of the lock plate. It's coming from the rear lock plate screw and it's very fine. Contacted customer service, now waiting for them to responded back. I'm guess I'm out of the black powder hobby for a few months.

Wood is often neglected. Makers can cut corners on the stocks. Usually the cracks come from
dropping or accidental stresses in transport. Quality wood counts for value--for sure. The
Traditions customer service should replace or repair that stock for customer good will.
Don't panic. Worst case , you can repair or replace the stock cheap. Nice Rifle--they
are great shooters.

Found another crack. I didn't see it on the opposite side of the lock plate. It's coming from the rear lock plate screw and it's very fine. Contacted customer service, now waiting for them to responded back. I'm guess I'm out of the black powder hobby for a few months.

Depending on what Traditions does, you're not out of the hobby. Those cracks are easily repaired and you could be back shooting tomorrow if you wanted.

I just got the chance to shoot my new rifle. Fired 4 shots, 45 gr to 60 gr.. Now I have a broken gun. Big ole crack! Calling Traditions on Monday.
Have fun, only took me several months and many phone calls to have my rifle replaced. But my problem was not as visual as yours.

It was either a flaw in the stock or a stress in the stock from the manufacturing/fitting process. You should be shipped a new rifle. It's been many years but I always had good service when dealing with Traditions.

Back