• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Toy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waarp8nt

Smidgin Injun
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
East of the Kaskaskia River in Illinois Country
Gentlemen, I've heard a picture is worth 1000 words. So, I give you a few pictures and a few words. I've been wanting a larger lathe for quite some time, my previous lathe was a South Bend 9". I have recently purchased a Honden lathe (aka Lantaine, aka Grizzly G9249). About the only issue with the lathe is some rust on the 4 Jaw chuck, the lathe and other accessories are clean with little use.

I picked up a good single trigger T/C .56 caliber Renegade from a local gun shop for a reasonable price with the intent to do some tinkering. Decided to do a flintlock swap on the Renegade. I'm using a .54 caliber barrel, a previously ordered a replacement flintlock breech plug in the factory 11/16x20 thread configuration from Track of the Wolf and I found a Lyman Flintlock online for a cheap BIN price. Done a couple of Lyman lock swaps in the T/C's with little to no trouble. I want have some fun building it and create a nice little target / deer rifle. Considering swapping the .56 to flintlock, it may be nice to have a rifle / smooth bore combo. If not, I will sell the .56 barrel.

The breech plug is oversize and will need to be draw filed to match the 1" barrel profile on the T/C. With that in mind I installed the breech plug using the Rice Barrels breech plug wrench and octagon barrel vice jaws.

Question for those who install breech plugs and/or do some lathe work; all that was required was to cut the breech plug thread depth to match the thread depth in the barrel. I was planning on the fitting to be a little more difficult, but it wasn't bad. I cut the threads to length, slightly tapered the opening of the anti-chamber and touched up the threads on the breech plug with a snap-on thread file (20 TPI). To my amazement, the breech plug timed out correctly with the sights / top of the barrel to the tang while being tight and not over tight. I planned on a little back and forth with lathe to get it to time out. Nope, cut to length...the breech plug fit the 1st time. I then removed it and put on some anti-seize grease and reinstalled the plug. I assume the 1st time fit / timing was beginners luck? I would imagine on a bad day the fitting could be more difficult....your thoughts please?

breech plug 1.jpg
breech plug 2.jpg
breech plug 3.jpg
breech plug 4.jpg
breech plug 5.jpg
breech plug 6.jpg

I've been doing this stuff over forty years now and prayer has saved me more than once in the occasional absence of skill from a brain toot!
Make sure the internal shoulder is a crush fit with the plug by spotting it in. If it isn't the threads will eventually get some fouling and then corrosion. Do not substitute anti- seize paste for good fitting. If fit correctly all you need on the threads is some RIG grease.

Latest posts

Back