• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

new touch hole liner to fix touch hole misdrilled

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnyboy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a rifle an the touch hole with the frizzen closed is slightly above the frizzen. I need to have a larger liner installed lower to correct placement.... But who can do such surgical precision work in northeastern P.a ???

I bought a rifle an the touch hole with the frizzen closed is slightly above the frizzen. I need to have a larger liner installed lower to correct placement.... But who can do such surgical precision work in northeastern P.a ???
The easiest way to solving your problem is to have someone w/ a vertical mill using a minimal dia milling cutter to shift the hole center line.....a tap drill for the larger liner is then used and the hole tapped......Fred

not lower................raise it up. I deepened the pan to try to get the touch hole near the sunset position. My original problem was too high above the frizzen when closed. I installed a large siler deluxe lock an now the touch hole is slightly below the sunset position of even with the pan top line. I have more material in the lock pan that can be deepened to get the flash down lower, but how much is enough??

In theory, you want the touch hole to be in the sunset position.
In practice, its not all that important. You do have to be aware of the powder level in the pan and you don't want to cover the touch hole with pan powder. Put an even layer of powder in the pan and try it.

[/ look j

If the gun shoots fine why not build the frizzen up so that it covers the hole? Or plug the touch hole and the create a new touch. Leave enough exposed so that u can concave it. Then reinstall and make it flush with the barrel, similar to the way the white light's liners are installed. Hope this helps.

1/16 low or maybe a tiny smidgen more then a 1/16.. I really need a 1/4 28 stainless touch hole liner blank so I can drill the hole an cone the inside myself......

never did that. The 5/16 white lightning liner (drill an retap the the 1/4 28 to 5/16 32 can it be done??) would be great. The original liner hole that was drilled had a .315 taper to the barrel surface, I don't think a 1/4 28 bolt would reach .315 to fill the tapered bevel.

If it's only 1/16" or a little more too low when compared to the top of the closed frizzen it's probably fine. A little up or a little down won't make any difference. Just shoot it. If you want to improve ignition, Muzzleloader Builders Supply sells a 1/4 X 28 flash hole liner that is inside coned similar to a White Lightning.

as long as the powder of the pan does not cover the flash hole(just a little under) it will be good.

Latest posts

Back