• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New to the forum, but not to BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, new forum member, but I've been shooting BP revolvers for a long time... have several reproductions, and an original 1849 Pocket, numbers-matching example manufactured in 1851.

Clockwise from top-right:
- Uberti 1847 Walker
- Pietta 1851 Navy (in the period-incorrect 44 caliber)
- Pietta 1851 Sheriff (also 44 cal)
- Colt 1849 Pocket (31 cal, original, manf. in 1851, all numbers matching)
- Pietta 1858 New Model Army (for sale, by the way!)
- Ruger Old Army in SS

I live in AZ, and shoot one or more of these (except the Pocket) about monthly, in the national forest by the Superstition Mountains (near Lost Dutchman).

~ Greg

20211016_112509.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Michigan. Have you ever looked for the Lost Dutchman?

I've hiked around the area a bit, but I don't think that qualifies as really looking for lost gold/mine... but I do dream! Ha!

It is a vast area which can quickly become dangerous in the summer heat. Nothing to be found on the trails, and just off the trail the terrain becomes very rugged. I could manage it, but not my small terreir mix rescue.

I'd rather happen upon a small arm lost to the ages... now that'd be a real treasure!

https://kjzz.org/content/3251/sure-theres-gold-superstition-mountains

Welcome to the asylum from Idaho. 🤪 Quite a few folks from our ATV/UTV club head your way to get away from the snow season up here. Also have a sister-in-law that lives in Cave Creek with her hubby. Their kids got thrown out of the nest a few years back.

Nice collection of revolvers there. I have an identical (almost) to your Pietta 1858 Remington. Does it have the unmentionable LC cylinder too? Getting tired of busting the knuckle of your middle finger? I'm still working on it, I don't whack it near as often as I did when I first bought it. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the asylum from Idaho. 🤪 Quite a few folks from our ATV/UTV club head your way to get away from the snow season up here. Also have a sister-in-law that lives in Cave Creek with her hubby. Their kids got thrown out of the nest a few years back.

Nice collection of revolvers there. I have an identical (almost) to your Pietta 1858 Remington. Does it have the unmentionable LC cylinder too? Getting tired of busting the knuckle of your middle finger? I'm still working on it, I don't whack it near as often as I did when I first bought it. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Hello James,

Thanks for the welcome. I originally thought I'd shoot the 1858 the most of any in my collection, but right after I bought it, I came across the Ruger at an online auction site (one of the estate sites, not GB), and picked it up for a song. Super lucky, as I could triple my money in second if I was interested in letting it go, but no way!!

So the Ruger now gets by far the most action, with the Sheriff next, and the 1858 just sits in my vault (I'd guess it doesn't have more than 48 rounds through it), hence why I am selling it (or, why I sold it, now that it's sold!).

I haven't busted any knuckles, but had plenty of various bits debris flung back into my face. All part of the joy in shooting BP revolvers! :cool:

Latest posts

Back