• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New to the forum and Muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a Kibler SMR ? I've never built a kit before, is this something for a beginner ?
SMR, southern mountain rifle. They are a little pricy, but you will be satisfied with the quality. Kibler's aren't too difficult to assemble on the whole as kits go. A SMR with a swamped barrel will be lighter than a Colonial, and balance better, too. What caliber are you looking for? Are you going to hunt with it? What are the laws like in Maryland? Can you buy black powder on line? You will be best off with English flints.

Last edited:
SMR, southern mountain rifle. They are a little pricy, but you will be satisfied with the quality. Kibler's aren't too difficult to assemble on the whole as kits go. A SMR with a swamped barrel will be lighter than a Colonial, and balance better, too. What caliber are you looking for? Are you going to hunt with it? What are the laws like in Maryland? Can you buy black powder on line? You will be best off with English flints.
I am definitely looking for either .40, .45 or .50. I can deer hunt with a minimum of .40 cal legally. I legally can buy powder online I just have to find it first as I'm having some trouble finding it in general I don't remember ever not seeing Black Powder in this low of quantities.

I am definitely looking for either .40, .45 or .50. I can deer hunt with a minimum of .40 cal legally. I legally can buy powder online I just have to find it first as I'm having some trouble finding it in general I don't remember ever not seeing Black Powder in this low of quantities.
We can hunt deer here with a .40. my deer rifle is a behemoth .62. I have a .36 for squirrel. Powder Valley has BP, unless they've sold out. Powder, Inc. is supposed to have powder, soon. It will be Swiss and Schuetzen. I understand Graf and Son has powder.

We can hunt deer here with a .40. my deer rifle is a behemoth .62. I have a .36 for squirrel. Powder Valley has BP, unless they've sold out. Powder, Inc. is supposed to have powder, soon. It will be Swiss and Schuetzen. I understand Graf and Son has powder.
.62 I understand is akin to a 20 gauge right ? Just a round ball instead of the typical modern slug. I checked Graf and Sons earlier and it was all out of stock that is where I buy my .30 Army Brass from. I'll find it eventually though with enough determination.

.62 I understand is akin to a 20 gauge right ? Just a round ball instead of the typical modern slug. I checked Graf and Sons earlier and it was all out of stock that is where I buy my .30 Army Brass from. I'll find it eventually though with enough determination.
Yes, .62 is the same as 20 ga. I have a rifled bore full stock Hawken flinter. It likes a .610 round ball and pillow ticking patch with 80 gr. Swiss 3fg. I just got through coning the barrel so I don't need a short starter any more.

Yes, .62 is the same as 20 ga. I have a rifled bore full stock Hawken flinter. It likes a .610 round ball and pillow ticking patch with 80 gr. Swiss 3fg. I just got through coning the barrel so I don't need a short starter any more.
Is coning a barrel an easy task ? I've seen alot of rifles here on the forum with coned barrels.

Plenty to learn here at times and other times might as well beat your head into a stump. lol. Welcome aboard.

Is coning a barrel an easy task ? I've seen alot of rifles here on the forum with coned barrels.
It's easier than you think. I bought my tool from Joe Wood. He's a member here. It does not affect accuracy, and makes starting the ball a lot easier. It only works with round balls, so if you shoot conical, forget it.

Murphinator...........Your large frame would be perfect for a .62 deer rifle. I'm only 5" 7" tall (now 75 yrs.old) , When we hunted deer in the Pa. late flint season , I killed a bunch of deer w/. a .62. I never wounded any. Almost any , body hit , will slow 'em down enough to finish the job. My favorite .62 was a 37" long barreled , straight oct. in one inch across the flats. Light enough for an avg. size guy to tote , and with devastating power , using 90 gr. FFG , and patched r/b. With '62 , Had one deer on the ground one day , the herd of 18 ran over to my hunting buddy , he shot a buck from the herd , and they all came back and stood 20 yds. from me. I could have easily downed a second deer , but had lost my short starter in the snow. Can't load a .62 w/o a short starter , and it would have been illegal under pa. law to shoot more than one deer a day. ..........On another hunt ,Was standing in an old stone foundation above open ground , waiting for a deer drive to finish. At 200 yds , four deer came walking broadside , down a fence line. In had a tag left, and this was the last evening of the season. I took a solid rest on the rock wall , put the front sight just above the walking doe's neck , and squeezed the .62's trigger. Three deer ran away , I was in total disbelief . the fourth deer was laying , stone dead , in a hole , down on the cow pasture fence line. 62's don't wound..............oldwood....All good to ya :thumb:

Hello to all from Millersville, Maryland. New to Muzzleloading only have used one once hunting. Don't own my own muzzleloader but definitely looking to get one and learn some things from here on the forum.
Howdy from Eldersburg, MD

Hello to all from Millersville, Maryland. New to Muzzleloading only have used one once hunting. Don't own my own muzzleloader but definitely looking to get one and learn some things from here on the forum.
I'm from Harford County MD. I don't hunt anymore but I do shoot all kinds of muzzleloaders. I'd be happy to make some suggestions if you like. Fire away homey, I've been shooting for more then 50 years. Did all kinds of hunting, deer, water fowl, upland bird, ground hogs, squirrel, rabbit, you name it. (Nothing like Rhinos or Elephants though)
Neil

Back