• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to the forum and Muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm from Harford County MD. I don't hunt anymore but I do shoot all kinds of muzzleloaders. I'd be happy to make some suggestions if you like. Fire away homey, I've been shooting for more then 50 years. Did all kinds of hunting, deer, water fowl, upland bird, ground hogs, squirrel, rabbit, you name it. (Nothing like Rhinos or Elephants though)
Neil
What was the main caliber you used for Deer hunting ? Secondly what rifle caliber would you recommend for Squirrel and Rabbit and what is a good caliber for a smoothbore folwer ? In terms of use on Turkeys.

What was the main caliber you used for Deer hunting ? Secondly what rifle caliber would you recommend for Squirrel and Rabbit and what is a good caliber for a smoothbore folwer ? In terms of use on Turkeys.
That's a big can of worms there. There's always some healthy debate on this forum that addresses just those questions. I used to hunt with modern guns. If I were to hunt with BP, I'd use a smaller caliber or even shot for squirrel or rabbit and shot exclusively for birds. .45 to .58 for deer but you really have to check you local hunting regulations regarding muzzleloader minimum and maximum calibers. Smoothie fowlers come in gauges and that's for shot. There are some smoothbores that can use either shot or ball. I'd go to the search feature and just ask one question at a time. "Loading smoothbore Fowler's" for example. Best caliber for squirrel? Then get a big cup of coffee and absorb whatever you're looking for.
Good luck

That's a big can of worms there. There's always some healthy debate on this forum that addresses just those questions. I used to hunt with modern guns. If I were to hunt with BP, I'd use a smaller caliber or even shot for squirrel or rabbit and shot exclusively for birds. .45 to .58 for deer but you really have to check you local hunting regulations regarding muzzleloader minimum and maximum calibers. Smoothie fowlers come in gauges and that's for shot. There are some smoothbores that can use either shot or ball. I'd go to the search feature and just ask one question at a time. "Loading smoothbore Fowler's" for example. Best caliber for squirrel? Then get a big cup of coffee and absorb whatever you're looking for.
Good luck
Thanks for the pointers

Thanks for the pointers
My current dance partners are Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock rifle and pistol in .45, I also have an original 1862 .58 cal. Bridesberg I restored to working order. I also have an unmentionable muzzleloader in .50 cal
KIMG0108.JPG

My current dance partners are Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock rifle and pistol in .45, I also have an original 1862 .58 cal. Bridesberg I restored to working order. I also have an unmentionable muzzleloader in .50 cal
View attachment 127886
Civil War era percussion rifles are always good looking. Definitely want an original Tower Enfield one of these days or a repro Whitworth Rifle with one of those Brass scopes that good from one end of the rifle to the other. But for now a simple flintlock will do me. Thanks for sharing the picture by the way, really cool stuff you got there.

Back