• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Muzzleloading!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really have problems with the term "smooth rifle". What exactly does that mean? A rifle has rifling. Is there is no rifling, it's a smooth bore. Just inquiring minds want to know.....

As for getting a gun, your best shot is watching the classifieds here and other muzzleloading sites and most of all- JOIN THE National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association and get into a Charter Club near you to be with like minded looneys who can help guide and feed the black powder obsession.

@dave951, there is a difference in the architecture of a smooth bored fowling gun and a smooth rifle. The smooth rifle will have a smoothbored octagon barrel with rifle sights. Most likely the smooth rifle will have a cheekpiece that fowling gun won't have. The bore of a smooth rifle is likely to be smaller,24 gauge or less, than most smooth bore fowling guns.

I don't have an issue with the designation, smooth rifle.

Hello everyone!

I am new to traditional muzzle loading and want a smooth rifle for my first gun because of the versatility of shot and round ball.

How should I start? Should I get a kit? (Seems cheaper) or find one already built?

If building one what tools do you use? Could you post a list? Seems like some people use a lot of tools and some use less...

If finding a built one, (I am from Clemson, SC). Where or who is a good place to look for guns (website, stores, etc)?

For a place to look for already completed rifles look at:

Contemporary Long Rifle Association.

@dave951, there is a difference in the architecture of a smooth bored fowling gun and a smooth rifle. The smooth rifle will have a smoothbored octagon barrel with rifle sights. Most likely the smooth rifle will have a cheekpiece that fowling gun won't have. The bore of a smooth rifle is likely to be smaller,24 gauge or less, than most smooth bore fowling guns.

I don't have an issue with the designation, smooth rifle.

Sounds like it's an archaic term.

Sounds like it's an archaic term.

Naw more likely a modern terminology applied so that we may more aptly group the gun into a category. We "moderns" seem to like to do that. For example the LLP, SLP, IP Bess are what we call what we see as the three main groups of Brown Bess muskets. There are a lot of variations, though, so did the folks that used them see three groups, or six, or more? Maybe they saw less groups; perhaps simply "old" and "new" versions?

So some folks hold that a "smooth rifle" was made to look like a rifle, but was smoothbore from day one..., so what do you call a rifle that was made with a rifled barrel, but as the owner and the rifle aged, it was eventually reamed out smooth?

Did the idea of "rifling" in the 18th century mean grooves inside a barrel that imparted a spin to the ball, OR did it simply mean a gun with a barrel with grooves? Some of the "rifles" in long established private collections were later found to have no twist, so they are now often said to have "grooved" barrels.... but did they call them that back then?

LD

So some folks hold that a "smooth rifle" was made to look like a rifle, but was smoothbore from day one..., so what do you call a rifle that was made with a rifled barrel, but as the owner and the rifle aged, it was eventually reamed out smooth?

Did the idea of "rifling" in the 18th century mean grooves inside a barrel that imparted a spin to the ball, OR did it simply mean a gun with a barrel with grooves? Some of the "rifles" in long established private collections were later found to have no twist, so they are now often said to have "grooved" barrels.... but did they call them that back then?

LD

In the CW world, the 1842 Springfield was originally a 69 smooth bore and was just called a "musket". After ordnance testing with the minie, some were rifled and had front and rear sights. The work was ongoing as the War started and in the confusion and scramble to get guns, a number of the smooth bore were issued with rifle sights.

I guess I'm just really used to hearing of a "rifle" having rifling

Hello everyone!

I am new to traditional muzzle loading and want a smooth rifle for my first gun because of the versatility of shot and round ball.

How should I start? Should I get a kit? (Seems cheaper) or find one already built?

If building one what tools do you use? Could you post a list? Seems like some people use a lot of tools and some use less...

If finding a built one, (I am from Clemson, SC). Where or who is a good place to look for guns (website, stores, etc)?
As a 'Newbie', I suggest you find a local club, and attend a couple of their shoots or other events. Usually you will be offered the chance to shoot something. Try as many as you can before settling on a style, calibre, etc. A kit can be very challenging if you have no knowledge or poor skills. I would suggest finding a second-hand gun to start, join a local club, listen to what the experts say, and follow their advice. A trade gun (or similar) will do everything for you, but there is a steep learning curve. Most important thing: have fun!

Back