• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie_Ray

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,

New guy from the Midwest just getting into Black powder.had the itch for a long time, looks like my timing might be off a bit!
finally found a nice 1858 Pietta. these new guns are very high quality.
I'm fine on cartridges for my modern guns but I had no idea B.P. supplies were so scarce.

Thanks for the welcome all.
the items I'm having problems with are percussion caps and .454 round ball. found powder (Pyrodex) .
I saw a kit to make your own primers, but to be honest, it scares me a bit!

Thanks for the welcome all.
the items I'm having problems with are percussion caps and .454 round ball. found powder (Pyrodex) .
I saw a kit to make your own primers, but to be honest, it scares me a bit!
Pyrodex is fine. I prefer the "P" grade.
I find 22-25 gns provides very good accuracy and punch. #10s is the fit.
The .454 ball will get you a nice ring of lead when rammed.
I suggest to over lube the ball. I've used an 80% hard wax to 20% veggie oil melted and heated to hot enough the veggie oil will congeal with the wax. Press a wad in the cylinder over the ball at least till it covers the circumference of the ball. Lube the cylinder pin too.
If you can't find #10s but find #11s do not pinch them to fit. Hot gas can get in the gap and you can get chain fire. During theses times I suggest you get a set of nipples that will take the #11s as a back up. Track of the Wolf is a good place to find parts like that.

Hi all,

New guy from the Midwest just getting into Black powder.had the itch for a long time, looks like my timing might be off a bit!
finally found a nice 1858 Pietta. these new guns are very high quality.
I'm fine on cartridges for my modern guns but I had no idea B.P. supplies were so scarce.
Welcome from another newbie. The people on this forum are awesome, they will help with any questions you have. They know their stuff and have been good to me.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

"Pyrodex is fine. I prefer the "P" grade.
I suggest to over lube the ball. I've used an 80% hard wax to 20% veggie oil melted and heated to hot enough the veggie oil will congeal with the wax. Press a wad in the cylinder over the ball at least till it covers the circumference of the ball. Lube the cylinder pin too.
If you can't find #10s but find #11s do not pinch them to fit. Hot gas can get in the gap and you can get chain fire. During theses times I suggest you get a set of nipples that will take the #11s as a back up. Track of the Wolf is a good place to find parts like that. "

good stuff here.
will beeswax and crisco work? heat and then soak a patch over the ball? can I soak a patch made from a sheet or similar?

never even thought about matching nipples to caps. will the nipples state what caps fit in description? already made some newbie mistakes, like wrong nipple wrench.

@Stevie_Ray, I can help you out. I have this Cabelas .44 BP revolver starter kit I got in a trade that I've been holding on to, waiting to give it to someone new to BP revolvers. You sound like the perfect candidate.

It has the balls you need, as well as the correct nipple wrench, capper, powder measure, wads, and a powder flask. It's all pretty beginner level stuff but it works. I have the same nipple wrench and it works on all my revolvers.

If you want it, it's yours, just pay the shipping. Send me a PM. -Justin
20210509_120259.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

"Pyrodex is fine. I prefer the "P" grade.
If you can't find #10s but find #11s do not pinch them to fit. Hot gas can get in the gap and you can get chain fire. During theses times I suggest you get a set of nipples that will take the #11s as a back up. Track of the Wolf is a good place to find parts like that. "

good stuff here.
will beeswax and crisco work? heat and then soak a patch over the ball? can I soak a patch made from a sheet or similar?

never even thought about matching nipples to caps. will the nipples state what caps fit in description? already made some newbie mistakes, like wrong nipple wrench.
You don't use patches in revolvers.

@Stevie_Ray, I can help you out. I have this Cabelas .44 BP revolver starter kit I got in a trade that I've been holding on to, waiting to give it to someone new to BP revolvers. You sound like the perfect candidate.

It has the balls you need, as well as the correct nipple wrench, capper, powder measure, wads, and a powder flask. It's all pretty beginner level stuff but it works. I have the same nipple wrench and it works on all my revolvers.

If you want it, it's yours, just pay the shipping. Send me a PM. -Justin View attachment 76431
Thats really nice of you Justin. I may take you up on that.

I finally found some cci #10 caps at a mid-sized sporting goods chain. paid online, now it looks like i'm on a road trip next week! 550 miles round trip :( but at least Ill have some.

Back