• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New to muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R8nger

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just bought my first ML an Investarms Bridger Hawken percussion .50 It takes #11 caps which are out of stock everywhere. I finally found some at LG Outdoors and ordered them on the spot. I need some advice on what gunpowder I should use. What accessories I need to load my rifle. How and what I should clean it with. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Depending on the barrel twist for proper bullets. A slow 1/66 is best for a patched round ball.
Faster twist, conical bullets are probably better.
Real black powder for sure. 2f or 3f. Triple 7 or pyrodex loose powder is good too.
You should clean the barrel good before you think about loading it up.
There's a lot of how to videos on line.

Thanks. Where is a good place to buy black powder? My rifle is 1 in 48 twist. What size round ball should I shoot?

There's a lot of threads in these forums with good starting information on all the equipment you need to get started. It will be a good exercise to search the Forums and find these message strings. The @B P Maniac Shooter has a instructional video with the simple getting started instructions.

I do heartily recommend the flask and valve offered by Midway USA. You will need to have a volume measure since you will need to use substitute black powders and these are less dense than real black powder, but are equal as measured by volume.

Ball size for your rifle would be 0.490" with 0.015 " cotton patching. I don't like pre-lubricated patches. Get unlubricated patches. Lubricate the patch with a bit of cooking oil or dish soap to start. You can explore the more exotic lubricants later. Powder will likely be Triple Seven or Pyrodex. All powders leave behind corrosive fouling. Cleaning is a necessity. Let you search for those message threads.

Welcome to this enjoyable hobby. It can be a lifetime adventure.

When you do find some type of powder remember this...Always use a powder measure. Never pour powder directly from the flask or powder horn.
Before you fire your first shot, fire at least two caps on an empty barrel. This will ensure a clear passage from the nipple to the powder charge. Then measure your powder load, start your patch/roundball, and firmly seat both on top of the powder. Place a fresh cap on the nipple , aim and fire at your target.

This is the measure I was recommending. It is supposed to be coming in stock soon.
Traditions Hunter Flask Powder Measure 5-120 Grains Brass (midwayusa.com)

The flask is filled with powder. You set the measure to the desired number of grains. To start with on your rifle, I suggest 60 grains volume. The measure is marked.

The measure will fit into a recess at the top of the flask. Turn the flask so the measure is down. Press the button to release powder into the measure. Shake the flask with the valve open to fil the measure. Release the button and remove the measure. Turn the flask over and set it on the bench. Now you have a filled measure of powder ready to pour down the muzzle.

You can watch @B P Maniac Shooter's video and see how he did it.

"Never let the sun set on a dirty gun!' That's good advice. Warm water a cleaning rod and a bag of flannel patches is all you need to clean black powder fouling. Change out patches until they come out clean. dry the barrel well with more patches and then use a gun oil or other rust preventing product both in the bore and out. Dont forget to swab down into the breech recess if your gun has one and also clean the hammer and nipple area of the barrel as well. If you swab with a patch damp with 91% alcohol before you load it again, you will not get any tar caused by the mixture of oil and black powder fouling. I keep a small bottle of Isopropyl alcohol (dry gas) for this in my shooting kit as well as a small bottle of black powder solvent (windex) to swab the bore every few shots to keep fouling from building to the point where it is difficult to load a patched ball. Be sure to post with any questions about shooting or cleaning. You will get lots of advice and experience here.

You have all the starting info you need. There are many differing beliefs as to what works well. I prefer 3f for my 50 but 2f is also good. I like moose milk for my patches, but there are others that also get the job done. Muzzle loading is an ongoing experiment as to what works best with each individual rifle. It has kept me interested for over 40 years.
There is so much info in this forum. Sit back and write down what interests you and give it a try. God Bless and have fun.

I would strongly disagree with the use of Pyrodex or other synthetics. Real black powder is not hard to find. Would you use coal oil in your new car?

I would strongly disagree with the use of Pyrodex or other synthetics. Real black powder is not hard to find. Would you use coal oil in your new car?
Pyrodex is a substitute for real Black Gunpowder like hill country moonshine is a substitute for single barrel twenty five year old Scotch Whiskey
IMHO
Bunk.

Thanks. So how do i measure power before i pour it in?
A powder flask or horn is a hand grenade remember that. Pour powder out of a horn or flask into a separate measure, then pour it into the barrel. IF and it is a big IF there is a spark left in the barrel from the previous shot you will get a scorched hand and a pair of ruined shorts but nothing else.
Black Gunpowder is an EXPLOSIVE not a flammable solid. Wisely used it is a great source of pleasure. Improperly or carelessly used it is a quick way to meet your maker.
Hold center
Bunk

Don’t want to hijack this thread, I too bought my first Muzzle Loader today. Super excited!! Thanks for all the information guys. It came with a bunch of supplies to “get me started”
4B1D7D85-CBA8-4548-9AA1-6D540A10F5BA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back