• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New (to me) TC Hawken.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While looking through the local buy and sell adds up here in the great white north, I came across a .50 caliber TC Renegade for sale. I texted the gent who told me that he had purchased the rifle new back in the early 80’s and had put maybe a dozen round balls through that barrel. He was looking to trade his rifle for an over/under 20 ga shotgun. I told him that I have a “safe queen” that I’ve never fired, a Remington/ Baikal O/U 12 ga with spare choke tubes. We struck a deal over the phone and we meet on Thursday to trade straight across. I’m excited to say the least. He lives about three hours south of my
location and I’ll meet him half way to make the trade. Of course there will be much more to follow... stay tuned!😉🤪

Last edited:
Sounds good.

Ask what powder was used for the dozen or so shots through the barrel and how it was cleaned after firing. How was the rifle prepared for the long storage?

Bring a light to check the bore.

Be sure to run a Black Powder solvent dampened patch to get an initial indication of the state of the barrel and verify that it is unloaded. Be aware that the old oils used to protect the barrel will come back brown on the patch as the oils discolor. You are looking for a smooth run of the patch and for the rifling to engage the patch and turn the rod while you are doing the test.

Ask if any accessories will come with it. Nipple wrenches, powder measures, working ram rod, ball, powder, powder flask (horn), shooting pouch, etc.

About the same way I ended up with my .54 Renegade.
Traded a break action 30-30 single shot for an unfired with a T/C Tang peep sight.
Mine came with the plastic but plate, I changed it out for the metal and refinished the stock, took a little of the extra wood off, added a T/C patch box ( I carry a patch/ball, cleaning jag and patch puller). Great New England field gun. Stop by on the way home, we can break it in.

BTW, the T/C Hawken & the T/C Renegade are two different pattern rifle models, with differences in the stock designs and type of furniture each type has.

BTW, the T/C Hawken & the T/C Renegade are two different pattern rifle models, with differences in the stock designs and type of furniture each type has.
I see slight differences between my wife's 50 Hawken and my 54 cal renegade (as marked on my barrel) I just assumed that the differences are minor. I do see that hers has a set trigger whereas mine in just one trigger. Hers is also about 3" longer than mine as well. I bought my renegade from a fellow out or way who had the rifle for a few years. someone had scrapped the original sights and replaced them with a "Plastic" sights that had fiber optics lights on either side of the rear sight and one on the front sight blade, both were removed and I'm waiting for a set of original sights to arrive from The Gun Works in Oregon. I've since decided that Two rifles of the same caliber would be a better fit for my wife and I, so I may sell the .54 cal in preference to this new 50. I'm still undecided about that though... One can never have too many "smoke poles".

Last edited:
There are a few more differences between the Hawken and renagade. The renagade has all blued steel furniture. It also has a squared off butt where the Hawken has a crescent butt stock. All the furniture on the Hawken is brass too. Strange that your renagade has a single trigger, mine had the double set triggers.
Back to the original post, nice TC Hawken! I love mine too.

The Renegade has a 1" across the flats barrel. The Hawken has a 15/16" barrel.
Have never seen a factory TC Hawken in 54 caliber with a 15/16” barrel. All my factory 54 TC Hawkens and Renegades are 1” across the flats (all Renegades, even 50 caliber, that I have owed or seen have been 1”). Please post photographs of the 15/16” factory TC Hawkens in 54 caliber. Always interested in learning.

@SDSmlf, the wife has a T/C 50 caliber Hawken. Trooper was describing the differences between his Renegade and her Hawken. I'm sorry if I wasn't entirely clear about the rifle I was describing.

The 50 caliber Renegade that @Trooper is looking to buy will have a 1" barrel. A factory T/C Hawken in 54 caliber will have a 1" barrel but we are not talking about a T/C Hawken in 54 caliber.

@SDSmlf, the wife has a T/C 50 caliber Hawken. Trooper was describing the differences between his Renegade and her Hawken. I'm sorry if I wasn't entirely clear about the rifle I was describing.

The 50 caliber Renegade that @Trooper is looking to buy will have a 1" barrel. A factory T/C Hawken in 54 caliber will have a 1" barrel but we are not talking about a T/C Hawken in 54 caliber.
Ok, maybe I was busting your chops a bit, but I have seen some ready to argue to the death that TC Hawkens only came with 15/16” barrels no matter the caliber. I was just responding to your statement ‘the Hawken has a 15/16" barrel’. No harm intended.

Ok, maybe I was busting your chops a bit, but I have seen some ready to argue to the death that TC Hawkens only came with 15/16” barrels no matter the caliber. I was just responding to your statement ‘the Hawken has a 15/16" barrel’. No harm intended.

I wasn't clear and didn't include all the necessary references. I hope that @Trooper finds a good 50 cal Renegade. I think its too early to sell the 54 Renegade. Never know when he might want to hunt elk.

I see slight differences between my wife's 50 Hawken and my 54 cal renegade (as marked on my barrel) I just assumed that the differences are minor.
The entire stock, drop and comb are different between the two models,, the Hawkin and Renegade are two different guns, nothing near the same.

I’ll need to haul out my wife’s 50 cal and my 54 and note the differences, I’ll take pics of each and post them, or better yet, when I pick up the new 50 cal, I’ll post pics of all three rifles. I’m learning so much on this site!
Thank you all for educating this crazy canuk 🤪 In truth, I work night shift for a cattle feed yard waay out in the sticks as a night watchman. So I get to spend loads to time out here, playing on the internet, watching cattle, watching for theft of fuel and equipment and I get to hunt coyotes too! Love my job😍

Now, "if" you can obtain a beef for your own use you'll also be a golden canuk… ;)

On occasion, the employees buy and slaughter a steer for the staff, purchased at cut rate prices. I've been there a little over a year, so I'm waiting to get into one of these sessions. "WHERE'S THE BEEF?" Either the missus and I start to chaw down on our venison to make room for a steer, or buy yet another freezer.

Back