• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me TC hawken 50 good story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After my divorce my father in law and I have remained more like father and son, he taught me to fish and I helped him hunt, he killed his first hogs with me and is addicted. about 3 years ago I got him into traditional muzzleloading, this forumn helped vme help him. on fathers day I gave him one of my TC renegade 50s he then bought a immaculate newer model tc hawken 50 serial numbers in the 475xxx range 2 hole tank didn't look like the black walnut stocks.
when he got it he got some powder roundballs shooting patches wonder wads and Hornady great plains 50 cal 385 bullet. the roundbals shot good vwith a wonder wad over powder 70 grains 2f and .490 ball. this rifle loved the great plains bullet.
last week he paid me a visit I showed him some of my new ones we got on the subject of his Hawken. long story short he casme over today we made a traid one of my garmin hunting gps for the hawken, I kept saying do you want to take one of my guns or ill go get some cash to ad with it. he wouildnt accept so now I own his Hawken. over the years weve traded a lot of stuff but always trade back or trade for something else. he is a man of god and has been a positive influence on me. here is my rifle
81374419_10219547886864588_8362260540302557184_n[1].jpg
80788642_10219547888664633_1316263594819584000_n[1].jpg

I built mine in early 80s. With good eyes it would put 8 of 10 440s in bull at 100 yards. Shot it till the barrel was shot out about 15 years ago. Just replaced the 45 with a 50. I'll probably never get 8 of 10 with my eyes now but it will near put holes touching at 25 now and expect it to do same at 50. She'll serve you well.

I love Hawken rifles. Mine are mostly TC, I really like the solid feel of the walnut stock and octagonal barrel. Congrats with yours. Keep it in the companionship ;).

Hard for me to remember when I didn't have at least one of the TC Hawkins around here. They are certainly a work horse as far as muzzleloaders go. Sounds like your FIL is a great friend to you. I hope you enjoy that new smokepole..

I thought I had sworn off TC guns after the last one I bought new had hot melt glue filling the lock inlet to makeup for very poor inletting.

My brother found an old TC kit in Dad's closet after he died and gave it to me. This kit was pretty crude being an old pre-warning kit. Having built a few scratch build flintlocks I added a few extra touches to it and made a nice gun from the kit.

I actually like the gun and plan to keep it forever, it shoots well and is one of a kind after I removed all the excess wood from parts of the stock and reshaped the cheekpiece.

I guess most of us cut out teeth on a TC and can't escape their presence no matter how hard we try.

TC cheek side.JPG

Last edited:
Yes sir Mr. Eric my first TC I bought was a Hawken 50 I got off a member here pre warning 3 hole tang beautiful dark black walnut stock. I've got a Lyman 57sml sight on her and a green Mountain 32 inch .54 rb barrel

My first was also an old rough pre warning kit, missing some small parts, covered with dust, lost on a shelf for many years.
I had never put one together before, and like Eric ended up removing and shaping a lot of wood to what felt and looked "right".
Love the gun and it's never done me wrong.

Nice looking Hawken and a great story too!

You’ve come a long way Howie.

Respectfully, Cowboy
Cowboy, you've been a ton of help, I don't know how many hours we spent talking, you sent me my first roundballs ive taken a lot of critters with the roundballs you sent me. I proudly have thre deerstalker sights you sent me. you have been one of the most influential members to me. I follow your cleaning regimine to a T I appreciate your friendship and mentoship cowboy

Cowboy, you've been a ton of help, I don't know how many hours we spent talking, you sent me my first roundballs ive taken a lot of critters with the roundballs you sent me. I proudly have thre deerstalker sights you sent me. you have been one of the most influential members to me. I follow your cleaning regimine to a T I appreciate your friendship and mentoship cowboy
Howie, I appreciate your kind words and friendship as well my friend.

When I first started off, I too was mentored by many kind and helpful members here on the forum. I, like you was and are, eager to learn. Just my way of giving back just like I was given from others here as well.

I take great satisfaction in seeing that you’re mentoring your father Inlaw and others. We continue to grow together each and every day. All of us!

Again, I’m proud of you. You’re bearing fruit to be passed on to others my friend.

God Bless and Happy New Year Howie!

Respectfully, Cowboy

My ex father in law got me in to black powder guns/shooting long ago. We've been friends since first meeting in 1984. I've been divorced from his daughter since 1991 but still talk to him a couple times each week, shoot with him occasionally, and we even share new gun purchases, and have traded guns back and forth as well. He's one of my closest friends. Refers to me as his son in law, once removed, and tells people he kept me in the divorce since I was easier to get along with. Funny how things work out in life.

Very nice. :)
I see it even has the now near impossible to find ramrod thimble with sling swivel stud. :)

Latest posts

Back