• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New (to me) T/C Seneca, bore questions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought the rifle below. I don't have a bore scope, but I dropped something reflective down the barrel, after running a few dozen patches with Balistol through it. Impossible to photograph, but the bore was bright and clean looking all the way down, except for a few bright orange rust spots in the last 3" towards the muzzle. They almost look like dust. Is there a way to get rid of this kind of rust? Is it a big detriment to accuracy or cause other issues? Other than that the rifle looks very nice, low 4 digit serial number, if that matters, and a Maltese cross stamped on the underside of the barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_1599.jpeg
    IMG_1599.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1600.jpeg
    IMG_1600.jpeg
    411.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1602.jpeg
    IMG_1602.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 0
You could try some 0000 steel wool wrapped around a cleaning jag.
Beyond that, I think any small spots would probably just shoot out after a while.
I have a gun barrel or 2 that are way worse and they shoot just fine.

Nice,
Senacas are a pleasure to hold and shoot.
What caliber is it ?
The cross is common in early Thompson Center gun barrels. There are all kind of story's associated with the marking. Find one you like and repeat it. They have a tendency to get a crack on the lock bolt side of the stock. I think people over tightening the screw sometimes or shoot an excessive amount of powder.
Enjoy, they are addictive!

Looks like nice rifle, any rust spot can be rubbed down but that won’t stop it. I wouldn’t worry about any tiny spots effecting how it shoots. If it really bothered me I‘d remove the rear sight, under rib and nipple then degrease the barrel with warm soapy water. Then place it in a long tank of boiling water for ten minutes. That changes the red rust to a black oxide which is blueing. Oil the insides and out with a oil like Barricade and when cool reassemble. I use oils that don’t mix with water rather then Ballistol. Rust and water are friends.

Nice,
Senacas are a pleasure to hold and shoot.
What caliber is it ?
The cross is common in early Thompson Center gun barrels. There are all kind of story's associated with the marking. Find one you like and repeat it. They have a tendency to get a crack on the lock bolt side of the stock. I think people over tightening the screw sometimes or shoot an excessive amount of powder.
Enjoy, they are addictive!
It's a .45. I'll be shooting it in offhand matches for practice, but I got it for deer hunting. I have .440 round balls and also Ox Yoke Originals 220 grain Maxi Balls. I'm not sure which I'll end up hunting with, I guess I have to see how it shoots. I have the TC recommendations for Seneca loads and I'll be staying on the conservative side. I briefly owned another Seneca that wasn't as nice to look at, but it taught me that these rifles are just about a perfect fit for me.

I used a piece of a copper pot scrubber on a bore brush and PB Blaster on a slightly rusted barrel with good success. Just make sure the bore brush is a good one that won’t pull apart and get stuck in the barrel. Also, many of the “copper” scrubbers in discount stores are copper plated steel wool. Look for the all copper ones. I got mine at an Ace hardware store.

Grab a .40 cal jag and get a small piece of green Scotch Brite and run that up and down the bore until the rust comes out. There might be a couple spots that the Scotch Brite couldn't reach but those spots usually come out after some shooting.

Scotch-Brite? Won’t that make scratches?
I started using Scotch-Brite after speaking to Don Getz (Getz Barrel) years ago before he passed, and he recommended using the green (600 grit) Scotch-Brite for smoothing up barrels that were cutting patches. Said it wouldn’t hurt the barrel. May not cure your issue, but won’t hurt. There are other options, but this is a good place to start.

I’ll try the Scotch-Brite, since I happen to have some. I got a bore light the other day and thr bore really doesn’t look too bad. Couple of specks near the muzzle and one tiny patch about halfway down which I can feel with a jag and patch, if I move it just right. Otherwise it’s like a mirror.

I'm going to try and shoot it today.

Latest posts

Back