• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New to me rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is a custom .50 caliber in the southern mountain rifle style made by Bob Gass in 2011. The barrel is a 42" straight octagon measuring 7/8" across the flats. It is iron mounted and all parts are browned. The trigger is a double set, and the length of pull to the forward trigger is 13.75". Neither the lock nor the barrel have any markings. I think it has had on the order of 100 rounds through it since it was new. The stock has some figure in the butt area, but is otherwise plain with no fancy engraving or inlays. It does have a raised cheek piece. Maybe someone has an idea who made the lock? I know the pics aren't that great....
1602537882475.png

1602537924520.png

1602537951613.png

1602537981920.png

It is a custom .50 caliber in the southern mountain rifle style made by Bob Gass in 2011. The barrel is a 42" straight octagon measuring 7/8" across the flats. It is iron mounted and all parts are browned. The trigger is a double set, and the length of pull to the forward trigger is 13.75". Neither the lock nor the barrel have any markings. I think it has had on the order of 100 rounds through it since it was new. The stock has some figure in the butt area, but is otherwise plain with no fancy engraving or inlays. It does have a raised cheek piece. Maybe someone has an idea who made the lock? I know the pics aren't that great....
View attachment 46238
View attachment 46239
View attachment 46240
View attachment 46241
very pretty cool gun to me friend!

I like it! :thumb:

I don't know why, but I like a Southern Mountain Rifle with a "plainer" stock. I normally love well-figured wood, but to me an SMR almost looks too glitsy with tons of figure or a bunch of trinkets inlaid into them. An SMR is a beautiful, graceful gun just in it's own form. :)

Well I decided I got a pretty good deal on this rifle. So it has a Siler lock, R.E. Davis triggers, what appears to be a fairly plain maple stock. The barrel has round bottom rifling so that narrows it down to either a Rice or Colerain barrel, already sighted in. All this for only $700.

Well I decided I got a pretty good deal on this rifle. So it has a Siler lock, R.E. Davis triggers, what appears to be a fairly plain maple stock. The barrel has round bottom rifling so that narrows it down to either a Rice or Colerain barrel, already sighted in. All this for only $700.

you can’t beat that deal my friend.

5 STARS

Respectfully, Cowboy

That's a beautiful rifle and a great deal. I love the iron mounted SMR; they just look like they're raring to get in the woods.

Great find! I too much prefer a "plain" (if we can even call a flinter that!) rifle. I love the look of what your average sort of individual would have had in the 18th century! Now that being said, flamed stocks are GORGEOUS. I am with you though, give me a good performer, first!

Latest posts

Back