• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me rifle with leaking nipple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noahs_Ark

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,
Bought a new to me .58 Zuoave rifle off GunBroker. Gave it a visual inspection and it the barrel looked good on the snake cam.
Took it to the range and got blasted back in the face with hot gas, little bit of burning and bleeding(glad I had my eye protection on!)
Taking it fully apart it seems like perhaps the braze between the nipple socket and the barrel isn't totally intact and there's some leakage there. I've attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure. I don't have any experience with BP rifles so any knowledge is appreciated. However it looks to me like there's a small crack in the bottom of the nipple threads which leaks out near the back of the nipple socket between it and the barrel.
Is this the kind of thing I could braze back myself with maybe a low temperature silver solution? Just take it to a gunsmith? Throw it away and curse buying anything online?

Thanks for any advice or further information.

Attachments

• 20230327_153552.jpg
    20230327_153552.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230327_153529.jpg
    20230327_153529.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230327_153412.jpg
    20230327_153412.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230327_153344.jpg
    20230327_153344.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
The repair would best be done by removing the bolster all together then cleaning the joint and re-brazing. A big job for most, are you up to that?
What brand of replica is it?

i would contact seller about selling a dangerous firearm. if he will not take it back ,i would definitely make others aware by VERY negative feedback. someone could have lost an eye or worse. by the wood it looks like it has been that way awhile. make sure whoever repairs it [ if it comes to that] knows what they are doing.best of luck with it. it sucks getting ripped off.

i would contact seller about selling a dangerous firearm. if he will not take it back ,i would definitely make others aware by VERY negative feedback. someone could have lost an eye or worse. by the wood it looks like it has been that way awhile. make sure whoever repairs it [ if it comes to that] knows what they are doing.best of luck with it. it sucks getting ripped off.
The repair would best be done by removing the bolster all together then cleaning the joint and re-brazing. A big job for most, are you up to that?
What brand of replica is it?
Thanks for the information guys. Although I am sorry to hear it.

I'm not sure of the brand, there is a stamp on the barrel but I didn't recognize it. I'll upload a picture later.

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure the rifles with brazed on bolsters were banned by the NSSA for such reasons. Honestly, if it is one of the brazed on bolsters, I would find another barrel or relegate it to a wall hanger.

You can always have the back end of the barrel cut off and re threaded for a new breech. If you can get one that will work with your lock.

I'm not familiar with this style of rifle my question is can the braze be micro welding instead of brazed?
If welded the seal will be around the edges. Brazing will fill under. I wouldn't want to leave a gap for pressure to collect.
I'm with others that say to contact the seller. The pix show evidence that it has been bad for some time. GB should be very concerned. Tell them either a safe barrel or refund

If welded the seal will be around the edges. Brazing will fill under. I wouldn't want to leave a gap for pressure to collect.
I'm with others that say to contact the seller. The pix show evidence that it has been bad for some time. GB should be very concerned. Tell them either a safe barrel or refund
Thanks for the tec info. I'm not sure about returning or complaining to GB, a lot of it will be depended on how the description was worded.

The seller may be more than happy to accept a return. Most GB sellers are businesses rather than individuals. They probably had no idea of the problem. They have good reason to be concerned about their reputation on GB.

Same may also be true for a non business entity.

I'd start with them and FWIW, I wouldn't consider a repair.

Back