• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me Pietta 1851 Navy "Yank"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulk

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a barely used Pietta 1851 Navy "Yank" for $160. I feel like I got a really good deal. It came with about 3/4 lb goex 3fg, 1/2 lb pyrodex 3fg,175 lead balls .375 diameter, nipples wrench, about 100 cci #10 caps, a rounded and straight nipple capper, about 170 lubed wads, an old style leather holster and an ammo box to keep it all in.

I have a couple questions. Are the #10 or #11 caps the best to use? Is it best practice to fire a blank cap on each cylinder after cleaning it to make sure it's clear? I saw a guy do this on YouTube. Is a loading stand really necessary? What load have you found to be the most accurate? 15gr? 18gr? 20gr? This is my first black powder revolver, so I am sure I will have many more questions for all you guys, thanks!!

First off, get a brand new set of nipples for your pistol.

If it is new from the factory, they may make good guns but they don't make good nipples. If it is a second hand gun the nipples are likely old.

As for which caps...depends on the nipples and the caps used. Get a few different types and see what works best. I prefer the Remington #10. They work on pretty much any #10 or 11 nipple.

A loading stand is not needed, but it is handy. I do not have one and it doesn't impede my loading.

Pop a cap on the nipples right before you plan on loading, not after cleaning. The caps leave some residue in the chambers and on the inside of the nipple.

For a .36 a 15 grain charge is plenty.

Most of your questions have been answered. The only one left to get answered is the, "What load is most accurate?" The only way to find out is to shoot your pistol and find out.

Since you have both black powder and Pyrodex, you will need a powder measure. Not really wanting to restart the old debate, but powder is measured by volume and referred to as grains equivalent in weight to that volume of 2fg black powder. You should get a small measure with the grain markings in 2 grain increments.

In particular I like this measure offered by Deer Creek Products. Click on "measure" above to go to the product page.

Enjoy your new to you pistol.

I forgot to say that it also included a small adjustable powder measure as well as a smaller powder flask. And yes, I agree I need to get out and shoot it myself but just thought people may be able to share what they have found works best for them. Thank you for the knowledge!

The size of the cap depends on the brand too. #11 Remington and #11 CCI are not the same. Trial and error.

I have two Uberti with stock nipples, haven't had any problems with them. I would look them over for any damage and try some caps before buying new nipples.

Track of the Wolf sells replacement nipples for the popular makes of cap and ball revolvers, and they note what caps the nipples are sized for. And the nipples are much more secure than the stock cone-shaped nipples.

I agree with Flintlock Bob.

Before spending money buying new nipples, try the gun as it is.

I have not had bad luck with the factory nipples that were installed on the many cap and ball pistols I've owned. They all worked fine.
Notice I said "cap and ball" pistols.

I did have some really poor luck getting the nipples that came with the POS pistols from "Classic Arms" like the Pepper Box and the Hoppe's target pistol to work. :cursing:

Congrats on the new toy, looks like you got a good deal.. C&B revolvers are a ton of fun and can be surprisingly accurate.

Pietta revolver nipples are usually #10. Don't change out the nipples until you try them, lightly used ones should be fine for a while. (Track of the Wolf can tell you which caps work best with certain nipples.) I find using a loading stand to be a real convenience, just not a necessity. You will have to experiment but I've had most accuracy with 36 caliber C&B below 20 grains of 3F powder. Close to 15 grains worked best for me. Suggestion: when cleaning after a session, I use a VERY light coat of white grease on the nipple threads. Never had one get stuck and clean up is easier.

Please let us know how your first range session goes.

Jeff

I've had nothing but problems with the factory installed nipples on all of the Italian cap & ball revolvers, no matter who made them. With the cone shape, the caps always seem to walk off the nipple while shooting, no matter what cap I try on them. I replace them as a matter of course with the straight-sided nipples TOW sells.

Electric Miner said:
I've had nothing but problems with the factory installed nipples on all of the Italian cap & ball revolvers, no matter who made them. With the cone shape, the caps always seem to walk off the nipple while shooting, no matter what cap I try on them. I replace them as a matter of course with the straight-sided nipples TOW sells.
Thank you.

I agree 100%
The factory nipples on the Pietta and Uberti revolvers are not good nipples. I have never seen a set of nipples on a new revolver from them in over 30 years I haven't wanted to immediately replace.

Even the low end after market nipples are better than the ones they put on the guns out of their factories.
It has never ceased to amaze me how they can produce guns that are really good guns but they miss this one detail and have for a very long time.

I'm amazed at how bad percussion revolver nipples have become. The old Replica Arms M.1860 I toted for over a decade never once had a problem with caps or suffered from battering. I'd probably still be dragging it around if some low-life hadn't figured he needed it more...but I digress. The point is I can't imagine it's harder now to make decent, sturdy, reliable percussion nipples than back in the 1960's!

I suppose different folks have different experiences but I shoot 4 Uberti's, two 51's a 61 and a 60. All have stock nipples and I've never had a problem with them misfiring. I also use Remington #10's. So I'd go with the "try it and see" crowd before replacing the nipples.
Great deal on the pistol and fixings. :thumbsup:

Back