• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me Navy Arms 12ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought this tonight and I think I got it at great price.... $250.

Some very minor dings in the nice wood and the metal looks 99%+ as far as rust goes.

It's a Pietta build and hasn't been shoot much, if at all.

Never shot a BP shotgun before so this will be a new/fun experience.

It's in superb condition! Makes mine look like a sow's ear in comparison and I happily paid more for it!

One thing to determine right away is whether the bores are choked or not. If they're both cylinder bore you're in fat city. If there are chokes, more loading care will be needed, as it's harder to get wads past the chokes.

Congratulations in either case. You did very, very well! :thumbsup:

Very nice, and a great price on it too. The Pietta built sxs can be converted to flint if you ever are of a mind to do so.

BrownBear said:
It's in superb condition! Makes mine look like a sow's ear in comparison and I happily paid more for it!

One thing to determine right away is whether the bores are choked or not. If they're both cylinder bore you're in fat city. If there are chokes, more loading care will be needed, as it's harder to get wads past the chokes.

Congratulations in either case. You did very, very well! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I measured the bore and it looks like it is Cylinder Choked both sides.

The proof mark shows it was made in 1978.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments

All the better! Now you're really set.

As you accumulate components, be sure to pick up a can of 1f powder along with any 2f and 3f you might want to try. In all of my shotguns and especially the Pietta, 1f delivers distinctly better patterns.

On top of that there's no fooling around with using a lesser volume of powder than shot for better patterns. I use the same measure for both powder and shot, which simplifies field loading.

My standard load is 1 1/8 oz of shot over the same measure full of 1f. I've gone as high as 1 1/2 oz of shot, but that light gun beatshell out of me with such heavy charges.

My "heavy" duck load is 1 1/4 oz of ITX #5 shot over the same measure of 1f. It patterns nicely and kills with authority out to 30 yards, as far as I'm willing to shoot with the CYL bores.

One interesting side note: I drop down to 7/8 oz of shot for most of my small game hunting, making it more of a "20 gauge" in performance. Really a versatile gun that's so light it's a joy to pack all day over hill and dale.

Nice piece, probably someone's safe queen. They've been out of production since 1994 but some parts interchange with Pedersoli's like the bridles. Those tangs (standing breech) though are long gone, still need one for mine.

They're a nice copy of the Westley Richards model.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately the man that did the conversion for me is no longer working. It is a lot of fun to shoot, if you can find someone to do it, it will be well worth it.

Good luck w/ your excellent buy.....looks brand new.

Many yrs ago I bought a 12 ga. SXS from Navy Arms...thought I might shoot some grouse w/ it. Don't recall the Italian gun co. so this might not pertain to your gun. This happened in the late 70s.

Upon inspection found a couple dozen flaws so called Val Forget the co. owner. After listening to my complaints, he asked me if I thought I had bought a Purdey shotgun. I told him no, but that I thought that a gin he would sell would have been built better. He said to send it back, he would pay the shipping which I thought was very generous of him. Shortly rec'd the refund which included the return shipping.

My main complaint was w/ the trigger pulls of the caplocks...when I pulled the very hard, creepy triggers, the hammers went noticeably back which was evidence that the triggers were fighting the main springs. The remainder of the flaws were fits of the metal components and the fore end was loose and fell off.

Could have tried to alter the tumbler notches and sear noses, but at the time was too busy making LRs....although if "my fix" didn't work, I'd be liable and a refund might not have been honored.

I was somewhat disappointed, but never thought about buying another SXS which included not buying a Purdey which at that time priced out at $15,000 for a plain field grade....Fred

I purchased mine in 1983 for $236.99 and would never sell it. Yours is in fantastic condition for it's age and at a VERY GOOD price as well :bow: . If it were me I'd leave it alone and just shoot it they are great handling upland game guns :thumbsup: .

flehto said:
Good luck w/ your excellent buy.....looks brand new.

Many yrs ago I bought a 12 ga. SXS from Navy Arms...thought I might shoot some grouse w/ it. Don't recall the Italian gun co. so this might not pertain to your gun. This happened in the late 70s.

Upon inspection found a couple dozen flaws so called Val Forget the co. owner. After listening to my complaints, he asked me if I thought I had bought a Purdey shotgun. I told him no, but that I thought that a gin he would sell would have been built better. He said to send it back, he would pay the shipping which I thought was very generous of him. Shortly rec'd the refund which included the return shipping.

My main complaint was w/ the trigger pulls of the caplocks...when I pulled the very hard, creepy triggers, the hammers went noticeably back which was evidence that the triggers were fighting the main springs. The remainder of the flaws were fits of the metal components and the fore end was loose and fell off.

Could have tried to alter the tumbler notches and sear noses, but at the time was too busy making LRs....although if "my fix" didn't work, I'd be liable and a refund might not have been honored.

I was somewhat disappointed, but never thought about buying another SXS which included not buying a Purdey which at that time priced out at $15,000 for a plain field grade....Fred

That's a shame. So far I am really satisfied with the appearance of the shotgun.

It just happened that today my trigger pull gauge arrived and I tested both triggers. They both break pretty crisp with one just a hair over 6lbs and one just under 6lbs.

I know that is a little heavy for a handgun or rifle but is it acceptable for a double barrel?

Thanks again to everyone for the comments and tips.

For a hunting shotgun it will be just fine. A hunting shotgun need not have a hair trigger. You will be walking and may trip on the underbrush and accidentally discharge the gun -- not a good thing to do.

No Deer. Just saw your post to convert Navy Arms SXS to flint. Can you supply info, or reference posts to do so? Thanks

Back