Quantcast

New to me Lowell Haarer Bear Pistol - Just in time for Deer season!

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would love to see someone put a kit together for a bear pistol. I have planned on building one for some time. Maybe Chambers it Kibler will take that task on.
I would, too! Jim Chambers has a kit for "Colonial Pistol" with a 13" rifled barrel. I actually corresponded with him some earlier this year, and asked about the feasibility of fitting this pistol with his small round-faced English lock (instead of the standard small Siler) and with double set triggers, which were often seen on these long-barreled pistols. His answer was a gentle but firm "no" to both questions. I also asked about the possibility of a "Southern Bear Pistol" kit, but he again answered "no." Mr. Chambers sells these kits as a business, and he has to make a living at it. A tremendous amount of work goes into developing these precision kits, and he just didn't think he would sell enough of them to justify the time and effort expended in R&D. I respect that.

I also asked Bob Roller about making double-set triggers for a pistol. He responded that he had made a few, and could make them again, but would need exact drawings of the stock profile also showing the position of the sear. I was unable to provide that, and pretty much abandoned the idea.

So, a precision kit would be great for those of us who are interested, but until or unless we convince those who produce them to create and offer such a kit, we'll need to rely on custom builders. Bob McBride's pistol, by Lowell Haarer, is a beauty!

Notchy Bob

tallpine

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
These long barreled bear pistols are fun to shoot and extremely accurate,. This is IMG_0144 (1).JPG50 cal bear pistol.JPGone I built from a cut down rifle barrel and parts I had laying around my shop. The barrel is 1 in 48 twist which is not supposed to be an accurate pistol twist. The last picture will attest to its accuracy. it's .50 cal with a 15 inch barrel

Latest posts