• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me CVA Mountain Rifle .58 Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn_c992001

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have wanted a .58 caliber for sometime now. A guy who hunted in the camp beside us had one when I was little, and I have wanted one since I first saw one. I managed to find this one. It should be here hopefully this week.

Score! A bud's 58 MR launched our whole bunch onto the search path, and I can tell you we all had to settle for substitutes. Fine rifle, and they're hard to come by.

Dunno what your rifle will settle on, but his is a one-holer with 100 grains of any 2f (Goex or Pyrodex RS, it doesn't care), with .570 balls and ticking patches lubed with any grease lube.

And that load just smacks the snot out of deer to all reasonable ranges. He's whacked one elk with it at 75 yards. Same result.

Cool. Is the leathery thing it's resting ON the really wide sling you'll need to carry it around!?

A friend of mine gave me one of those around 1997. It had been shot and put away dirty in the mid 70s. Cleaned it with some CLP and a tight patch of 0000 steel wool, then re-crowned the muzzle. It is a tack driver. Clover leaf groups with old-style minies at 50 yards, and sub 3" groups at 100 with round balls. Charges were FFg 60 grains and 100 grains respectively.

Think I'd like a darker stain on the wood but if that's all I can find to whine about...you done real good! :hatsoff: They're good guns and I'm so glad to see some of our younger posters looking them up and buying them. CVA hit the market hard in the 70's and there's no telling how many of us started with their guns. Maybe they aren't all that fancy or historically whatever, but they go right on punching the center out of targets and rolling Bambis into pan fried deliciousness! Nobody bothered to tell the old CVA Kentuckies and Mountain Rifles their day is past...and a darn good thing too! :thumbsup:

I agree with you on the stain, but I can deal with it. Maybe they were trying to show off the stock? Could it be birdseye maple?

I am pretty excited to get it. The previous owner says it likes 90gr of FFG with a .570 rb and .010 ticking patch greased with Bore Butter.

That looks like a FINE rifle! :thumbsup: at 33 years young the recoil should not bother you a bit . As they say the .54s and the .58s dial in pretty easy, and that big old round ball will put the smack down on anything short of Mr. Brown Bear.

Those are, in my opinion, one of the best rifles that C.V.A ever made. I bought one about 1980(kit) in 54 caliber and used it for many years and killed tons of game with it. I have since retired it and now use a 58 cal custom rifle. Enjoy your new rifle.

I haven't seen many brown bears in West Virginia, but we do have plenty of black ones! This fall I will gladly try it on one.

I know someone who has a .50 cal mountain rifle...the thing is a looker just like yours ...if I can ever talk him out of it ill be a new pappy !

The other caliber Mountain Rifles are around and often in great condition Bryon. Just keep your eyes open -- a bargain will even appear sooner or later.

What Alden said. just keep watch on the "classified" section here and the "for trade or sale" sections of the other muzzleloading sites around the internet. The gun auction sites sometimes have them as well. There were thousands of them built and they show up fairly regularly. Good luck.

This one came off of Gunbroker. I just did a search for CVA Mountain Rifle and a couple of them came up. It also helps if you are caliber specific too. There is a very nice one on there now in .50 caliber with a beautiful stock.

Back