• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New to forum. Interested in getting started with flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccunepl

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm a 67yr old retiree in SW Virginia with an interest in getting started in flintlock shooting. Just recreational and maybe deer hunting. Let me know your ideas about getting started. Thanks!

Hey there. I'm a 67yr old retiree in SW Virginia with an interest in getting started in flintlock shooting. Just recreational and maybe deer hunting. Let me know your ideas about getting started. Thanks!
Welcome!.... Retired July 2020 and LOVING IT!!! Easiest thing is to watch YOUTUBE VIDEO'S. Type in "Mike Beliveau".... Ask lots of questions. Plenty of good people on this FORUM to help.

Range shooting, preferably alone, or with someone that keeps their yap shut. Patience, remember powder then lead, don't get in a stew if you forget powder, happens to all of us. Start with recommended load for weapon and work from there. Pencil and paper to remember what your last recipe was for loading. From the north side of Missouri, Welcome

Well, OK then, you can begin with the system that ruled the muzzleloader scene for 200 years and understand first hand the sweat and cursing of the ignition system that shaped the history of the American story from the matchlock to the percussion era. Please don't, as so many do, 'blow off' the sub sequent caplock adventures that add so much to our study. Alright, I confess, I have had plenty of fun with flintlocks, and am in fact about to start building a flintlock 'chunk gun'. Welcome to the Forum, and ask questions without fear of upbraidment. George.

Welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina.
an interest in getting started in flintlock shooting.
Do you already own a flintlock? Or do you happen to know anyone close by that owns and shoots one? From a standing start, you can learn about muzzleloading and flintlocks from the internet and books, but the learning curve is a lot quicker and less bumpy if you can find a local mentor.

GANDALF SPEAKS.jpg

Howdy from Maryland

LD

Welcome, I’m fairly new myself. Lots of really wise and friendly folks on here. I’m not one of the wise but I promise to be friendly!

Welcome! I am new to Flinters this year. I got a Lyman/pedersoli Great Plains rifle, and have grown very fond of it. Getting a rifle with a quality luck reduces headaches greatly. Have patience, what has helped me tremendously is joining a local black powder club, where I am shooting usually every week. Frequent short outings are your friend, and alot of relaxed shooting from a good bench has helped me greatly with the "flinch".
Otherwise, this forum is a great site for learning tricks of the trade.

Back