• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to forum from SEPA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All. I am new to the forum and live in Southeast PA. About 5 years ago I was given a beat up old CVA 50 Cal Hawken and it started a bit of a problem. The stock was cracked but "fixed" and it shot well. Super hard to load as the barrel was not well cared for but accurate when you shot it. 2 years later after getting tired of fussing with the old beat up rifle I purchased a new Traditions Hawken. Looked good but had its own set of issues. I had to replace the frizzen after only 20-30 shots as it would no longer spark. Changed flints and tried other options but it appeared it was just too soft. I loved shooting flintlocks but was getting frustrated with the issues associated with the factory guns. My goal not only was to enjoy shooting the rifle but I also wanted to hunt effectively with a flintlock. Just never felt confident enough to take the gun in the woods for deer with all the issues.

I made the decision to purchase a mostly complete "custom" long rifle from Dixons at their gunmakers fair about 1.5 years ago. Holy cow what a difference quality parts make. I now have over 600 rounds through that rifle with only maybe 2 or 3 fail to fires (probably all my fault). I have been shooting at least 30 - 40 rounds most every Sunday. This will be my first PA flintlock season where I feel confident enough to take the gun afield.

(this is the problem now) I just purchased another flintlock rifle, also custom and 50 Cal. and am hoping to get a 20 GA fowler sometime in the spring with hopes of getting proficient enough to try and turkey hunt/small game hunt with it in 2021. After that I'd like to get a kit to build myself in 36 cal for small game......

I'm on other hunting forums and shooting forums but I am looking forward to this one being it's strictly muzzle loading.

From one SEPA guy to another...welcome

Oh boy...if you get the .62 Fowler your beyond help as the addiction will be to strong to cure! So i will offer some support here to help save you...you got to get one cause they are awesome fun for sure! Well no help to save you cause i got one and love it! See what addiction does. Then after that a .36 yaboy! They are fun too! Had mine out today for squirrels but came home empty handed but what a great time in the woods.

Welcome from north central PA. What you've learned is what many of the folks on this board have tried to teach others who are starting in the sport. It's not a matter of snobbishness or an attempt to look down their nose at someone if/when they point out that many of the less expensive commercial guns out there have had issues and won't be as reliable as a gun built with good parts. I've had TCs, CVAs, Pedersoli, RMC and others and have had some that were mostly reliable and others that were not, but none of them were as reliable as a gun built by someone who knows what they're doing with good components and none of them looked nearly as good. Honestly, I think some of those commercial guns were nearly as accurate as a good custom gun if you could get them to fire reliably, but what good does it do to know that your roundball will probably strike the target IF the gun fires? There's obviously a place for everyone in this sport/hobby/endeavor and I'm glad you've found some confidence and a place to share some stories or ask a question or three.

Welcome, from the Forks of the Ohio, here in Westsylvania.
You definitely have come to the right place. You have learned quite a bit on your own, and there are many here who can help you further. Sometimes, off the shelf flintlocks just don't have the correct geometry. Shooting a properly tuned flintlock is a joy.

Richard/Grumpa

Back