• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New to Flintlocks need double set trigger help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colimr

40 Cal
Reaction score
New member here .I built a Traditions Hawken woodsman flintlock kit Upon assembling the double set trigger I noticed the font trigger spring was missing Traditions doesn't have one and has been back ordered for 2 months. I ordered a old style CVA trigger from Deer Creek that fits and is 90% similar but I would rather find a front trigger spring for the original trigger .Nothing on the internet so does anyone here have an idea? It looks like a wire paper clip cut .Thank you for allowing me to be a member And I am not handy to make and temper one incase it is suggested

I see that as the #1 suggestion but I have no idea of the dimensions or shape of the spring and to be "THAT GUY " I don't believe cobbing something as important a trigger is within my skill set .If I knew what it looked like length, shape, placement etc... I would experiment but the Deer Creek CVA trigger is set up completely different the spring is captive and cant "fall out" like the Traditions must have. I am hoping a previous poster in another thread who broke his can provide perhaps a picture or solution to how he solved it. Thank you billraby for replying

I see that as the #1 suggestion but I have no idea of the dimensions or shape of the spring and to be "THAT GUY " I don't believe cobbing something as important a trigger is within my skill set .If I knew what it looked like length, shape, placement etc... I would experiment but the Deer Creek CVA trigger is set up completely different the spring is captive and cant "fall out" like the Traditions must have. I am hoping a previous poster in another thread who broke his can provide perhaps a picture or solution to how he solved it. Thank you billraby for replying
Google a photo of the triggers and you will see what it looks like. Just copy the looks, it may not work the first time. You will see that it needs to be a tad shorter or a tad longer etc. Nothing ventured nothing gained. The only investment will be your time. Wire is cheap.
Good luck!
Larry

Thank you Larry. I have seen about a thousand trigger assemblies in the past 2 months Traditions kits use an outdated trigger assembly.The closest is the old style CVA trigger which I bought because most just show side view I thought the CVA matched. it fit but the spring was way different.It fits it works but I need a picture of a traditions trigger spring. In 2 months I have only seen a parts diagram which was no help, Traditions was no help either I ordered 2 springs 2 months ago. A member here 2 years ago broke his and I messaged him on his post hoping he had a picture or another member had a picture of the spring The member is Mtbugle the post was in 2020. Having the flintlock back in service makes me happy but finding this spring is now an obsession I';; either get my order in oh 6 months or see what it looks like and piano or guitar string a dozen .Thank You Larry

Maybe post some photographs of what you have. Wire springs can be quite easy. Or nearly impossible without a good reference. Not familiar with your lock, but someone here surely will be able to provide assistance. Simple things, like wire diameter and a photograph of actual spring will make your job that much easier. Should not be that tough to replicate.

pic 3 + 4 shows spring hole above and left of bolt hole inside view of trigger. pic 2 spring hile bottom left of bolt hole trigger outside view hope these help .spring hole is the size of a small paperclip

Attachments

• WIN_20220508_11_38_06_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220508_11_38_06_Pro.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
  • WIN_20220508_11_37_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220508_11_37_37_Pro.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 19
  • WIN_20220508_11_36_50_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220508_11_36_50_Pro.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 18
  • WIN_20220508_11_38_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220508_11_38_36_Pro.jpg