• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to flintlocks: Looking for a 24" barrel rifle kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmel

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Not new to black powder rifles (percussion), but new to flintlocks

I am looking for a FL (non percussion) rifle kit with a 24" barrel : I have done a load of i-net searches and no joy

I have found a few FL percussion 24" kits, but want a "True" flintlock rifle kit with a 24" barrel kit

Anyone have source?

So the short barrel is the problem, with the full length...
The Pedersoli Scout Flintlock is offered as a kit, in .45 or .50 BUT the barrel is 28.75" so you'd have to shorten that DIY.
Traditions offers a finished full length flintlock, but the barrel (iirc) is 30+ inches, so again a DIY project.
There are some shorter rifles, but they seem to be half stocked....

I'd go with the Pedersoli, and see if a gunsmith couldn't shorten the barrel for me. IF I could find somebody with a kit in stock to sell me....

LD

My thanks, but again, I have researched many suppliers for a KIT in 24" FL, non percussion: Some make a FL kit in 24", but only in percussion style

Scratching my head: If companies make a kit in 24" percussion flintlock (which I have found) , why not a kit in 24" non percussion?

2" doesn't sound like much, but moving thru the brush, 2" is like a foot Not just in maneuver room, but moving around more bush than needed makes noise and morning dew falling in/around the pan is an issue as well

Again, anyone know of a kit, or at this point, even a complete ready to fire rifle in 24", true flintlock?

I am looking for a FL (non percussion) rifle kit with a 24" barrel : I have done a load of i-net searches and no joy

I have found a few FL percussion 24" kits, but want a "True" flintlock rifle kit with a 24" barrel kit

Anyone have source?
I don’t know how hard set you are at it being 24”…is there a specific reason that it needs to be 24”????

The old Thompson Center Hawkens had 28” barrels.

The old CVA Frontier Rifles had…I think…26” barrels. Both could be had as flintlocks.

An L&R Replacement lock would do the trick as well, and you’ll have a solid quality lock when done.

Anyone have source?
Investarm released the Hawken Carbine last year and it has a 24" barrel. It is available in a kit version with flintlock ignition and several caliber options to choose from. I will include a link below for you to review.
Investarm Hawken Carbine: InvestArm™ Hawken Carbine Muzzleloader Rifles | Shop Models | Muzzle-Loaders.com

Did you ever wonder why a 24” barrel isn’t offered? Could it be that black powder works differently than smokeless ?

I have several 24" black powder barrels and they shoot just fine. Have sold several as well. I myself prefer at least 28. My Traditions Tennessee is a 24". Looks kinda funny to me but as nobody wanted it with its 1/32 twist barrel I have elected to sight it in with conicals and keep it handy in my elk blind this year.

I read your post and if I understand you right you want a flintlock with a 24" barrel-?
I see that it would be great for moving trough dense brush, just take in to consideration that with a short barrel like that you will lose velocity. If you could go for like a 30" or even a 28.5" you could get your self a Jaeger rifle..? My self made Danish/Norwegian 1791 replica Jaeger rifle has a 28.5" barrel, and it is one fine handling rifle. I have used in reenactment battles and on a good day If I can hold that bead still! I actually do shoot pretty well with it. It is actually the one I am holding in my hands on the left of this post!

I just got a Dear Hunter 24" yesterday for $265 online, since I couldn't find a true FL kit in any make w/24" barrel I like the idea of finishing the wood myself and piecing together the triggers, etc

I just got a Dear Hunter 24" yesterday for $265 online, since I couldn't find a true FL kit in any make w/24" barrel I like the idea of finishing the wood myself and piecing together the triggers, etc
Is it a flintlock or percussion ? I know they did make a Deerhunter in a traditional flintlock .

i have two invest arms made 22 inch barreled carbines. i ran both in a chrono test marathon one day with the rest of my long guns just for giggles.
using the same charge, same patch, same powder, they both had velocities of 100 +/- fps more than my 28-32 inch guns. go figure!

i have two invest arms made 22 inch barreled carbines. i ran both in a chrono test marathon one day with the rest of my long guns just for giggles.
using the same charge, same patch, same powder, they both had velocities of 100 +/- fps more than my 28-32 inch guns. go figure!
Interesting, I know in a 357 magnum a 16" carbine lever gun produces slightly more velocity than a 20" rifle. It hits that maximum length for velocity then the longer barrel begins the slow the bullet. Same with 9mm in 12" barrel vs. 16" barrel.

Don't worry whether or not a short barrel gets "X" velocity, "X"+2 or even "X"-2. Velocities vs barrel length are not always linear. I can guarantee a short barrel will be accurate and take deer as well as a longrifle. I like shorties and still have one I use as a target rifle. On the other hand I've had no problem getting through the Georgia jungles with longrifles.

Back