• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to cap & ball revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read about thevdifferant powders in the past few posts that were being discussed. Are the Swiss, the Goex, the Triple 7, etc. synthetic substitutes like Pyrodex or are they actual black powders?

I disagree with "not" removing the nipples prior to firing.
Some pistols manufacturers blue the cylinders with the nipples in the cylinder, which causes great difficulty in removing the nipples. If you cannot remove the nipples, it needs go back to where you bought it.
Get a copy of Percussion Revolvers by Mike Cumpston and Johnny Bates. You will learn a lot from reading it, it is a worth while book.

Welcome Chaco24,
The book is a good one, pictures are black and white and could be better, but lots of good info on the pistols and revolvers you can't find elsewhere! I replaced the sear/bolt spring on my Uberti Walker as recommended in the book. Reduced trigger pull down to 2.5 Lbs, combined with a polishing of the internals as well. You can get the Heinie springs, they are sold as for SAA Colts, but will work. Also, Wolff sells wire springs or reduced power flat springs that can be used as well. You may have to adjust a bit to fit. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Just using this teaser of the book to show some of the info in the book. Great gunsmithing tips for Colt Pocket revolvers to make them more reliable, and not have the caps jam the action. $16.95 on Amazon.com with free Prime shipping. See link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0595357962/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Image%202-11-19%20at%204.51%20PM_zpsb1gjmu7j.jpg
IMG_0007_zpsrldxjyvd.jpg
IMG_0008%20-%20Version%202_zpsy6dmxlvl.jpg
IMG_0046%20-%20Version%202_zpsnbcqbkqf.jpg

As to ball size, my 1858 RNA's like .454" balls, they are both Uberti INOX SS with 7.5" barrels. My Uberti Walker likes .457" balls. It won't shave lead with .454" YMMV.
IMG_0002%20-%20Version%202_zps03jekqfs.jpg

Last edited:
You got me curious, that picture of the orange handled screwdriver, it is a phillips isnt it? Does that gun really have phillips screws in it?

I would think that .457 balls would be too big for the Pietta. But who knows since it's new.
I use .451's or .454's in my Pietta .457's would be lever benders.

Time to get out the measuring tools and measure the cylinder.

I’ve been using .457” balls in my Pietta, though it’s been sporting .449” chambers (and chamfered) for going on 5 years, but for its first year or so in my hands (2013 model I got for Christmas) it had the stock .446” chambers. And the bullets I cast drop at .456”, which I’ve used mostly, which means it’s cutting through the base band and making its way through a long top band with the slow rise up to the wide meplat. Haven’t bent my lever.

Welcome Chaco24,
The book is a good one, pictures are black and white and could be better, but lots of good info on the pistols and revolvers you can't find elsewhere! I replaced the sear/bolt spring on my Uberti Walker as recommended in the book. Reduced trigger pull down to 2.5 Lbs, combined with a polishing of the internals as well. You can get the Heinie springs, they are sold as for SAA Colts, but will work. Also, Wolff sells wire springs or reduced power flat springs that can be used as well. You may have to adjust a bit to fit. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Just using this teaser of the book to show some of the info in the book. Great gunsmithing tips for Colt Pocket revolvers to make them more reliable, and not have the caps jam the action. $16.95 on Amazon.com with free Prime shipping. See link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0595357962/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Image%202-11-19%20at%204.51%20PM_zpsb1gjmu7j.jpg
IMG_0007_zpsrldxjyvd.jpg
IMG_0008%20-%20Version%202_zpsy6dmxlvl.jpg
IMG_0046%20-%20Version%202_zpsnbcqbkqf.jpg

As to ball size, my 1858 RNA's like .454" balls, they are both Uberti INOX SS with 7.5" barrels. My Uberti Walker likes .457" balls. It won't shave lead with .454" YMMV.
IMG_0002%20-%20Version%202_zps03jekqfs.jpg
Thank you for the link to Amazon PluggedNickel, maybe you can answer a question for me about black powder storage? I was storing my Pyrodex on a shelf in my hall closet until today when fedex delivered this D85704CD-31D4-4E4A-9B38-7894C09EAFD4.jpegan MTM Muzzleloaders Dry box. Is this sufficient or do I need something else?

Thank you for the link to Amazon PluggedNickel, maybe you can answer a question for me about black powder storage? I was storing my Pyrodex on a shelf in my hall closet until today when fedex delivered this View attachment 4564an MTM Muzzleloaders Dry box. Is this sufficient or do I need something else?
That's what I use. They are nice.

Don't know if they carry BP but you have Texas Jacks and Cimmaron down in Fredericksburg, TX. Looks like a 4 hour drive from Fort Worth - might be a good way to kill a day or 3 day weekend with the wife.

Texas Jack Wild West Outfitter
117 N Adams St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
(830) 997-3213
https://www.texasjacks.com/
Check out the store viewer on their website.

Cimarron Firearms
105 Winding Oak Dr, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
(830) 997-9090
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/

Don't know if they carry BP but you have Texas Jacks and Cimmaron down in Fredericksburg, TX. Looks like a 4 hour drive from Fort Worth - might be a good way to kill a day or 3 day weekend with the wife.

Texas Jack Wild West Outfitter
117 N Adams St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
(830) 997-3213
https://www.texasjacks.com/
Check out the store viewer on their website.

Cimarron Firearms
105 Winding Oak Dr, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
(830) 997-9090
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/
Thanks for information but I found a place online called Graf & Sons that sells real black powder at a pretty reasonable price so I’ll probably be giving them some business. It’s always good to have a backup plan so I’ll add the two businesses that you provided to my address book.

Powder Inc on the internet is very low priced including shipping. You have to order 5 pounds and the more you order the cheaper it gets. Many different brands of BP.

Super nice folks to do business with.

At the price of gas now, a road trip can be made for the HAZMAT fee.

I'v
View attachment 4179 View attachment 4180 View attachment 4181 purchased my first black powder revolver last Friday from Cabela’s (Pietta New army 44.) and the only powder that was available was Pyrodex FFG, the manufacturer says to use FFFG which I don’t have. My question is is it ok to use the FFG to shoot the revolver with? I don’t want to injure myself or my brand new revolver. Also the gun was coated in grease, what’s the recommendation for cleaning a brand new cap and ball revolver? TIA
I'd look for triple seven if going to use a more coarse powder, but Pyrodex RS will definitely go off in you gun... performance might actually be the same as if you were using goex 3f, tho, so don't despair... but pyrodex is corrosive and requires cleaning thoroughly. 2f also is dirtier than 3f so carry with you some cleaning supply if nothing else... to wipe your bore and cylinders before reloading.

I'd also recommend that you switch factory nipples to either slixshot or Spitfire nipples for less fouling and misfire. Even these tho, require a nipple firmly seated, so be careful in this process too... (pushing a dowel down on the nipple while loaded) or pushing the cap down with the hammer... you know this requires good situational awareness and common sense though don't we... :D and while I've never seen one go off this way... you know... if a chain fire can happen under the best of circumstances... :cool:

My 2013 Pietta NMA still sports the factory nipples and I’ve never had a misfire or cap jam. I use nothing but Rem #10’s.

But I think Track of The Wolf nipples (or another) would be a bit of an upgrade. I just haven’t seen the need, but would get ToTW replacements the day I do.

My 2013 Pietta NMA still sports the factory nipples and I’ve never had a misfire or cap jam. I use nothing but Rem #10’s.

But I think Track of The Wolf nipples (or another) would be a bit of an upgrade. I just haven’t seen the need, but would get ToTW replacements the day I do.
My late 70’s Uberti 1860 has stock replacement nipples that seem to last many thousands of rounds. I have replacements in a drawer here but haven’t seen the need to swap them out. The cci #10’s are a perfect fit.

Back