• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Tent questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are those that only do rondys because they don't like the "restrictions" of juried events

Coot, it is usually not a matter that they/I do not "like" the restrictions. For me it was finding out at the gate the 'restrictions' were someones interpretation of what was hc/pc and impossible to comply with. Planning, packing, traveling, spending $$$ and arriving only to be told entry is prohibited because some nit picky detail does not meet the notion of hc/pc of one or a few people is a discouragement. I once declined to join a Rev. Rifleman unit because the one guy in charge of deciding what was 'correct' for garb was completely off base. fini before I get rude.

One does not just "show up at the gate" for a juried event. To be approved, one submits pictures of their outfit and camp beforehand, so the folks running the event can say that you are a) welcome as is, b) welcome to attend but leave the (whatever they object to) at home, or c) sorry but your outfit (while perhaps great for say 1812) does not fit the event (say rev war) timeframe. I am sorry that you had a bad experience but every juried event worth mention puts their guidelines out well ahead of time and requires new attendees to submit photos to be evaluated before issuing an invite to attend. Sounds like you got some bad advice early on. Plenty of people join or leave groups because the group is either too strict or too loose in what they accept. Everyone must choose for themselves how "correct" is correct enough for them and choose which events to attend accordingly.

One does not just "show up at the gate" for a juried event. To be approved, one submits pictures of their outfit and camp beforehand, so the folks running the event can say that you are a) welcome as is, b) welcome to attend but leave the (whatever they object to) at home, or c) sorry but your outfit (while perhaps great for say 1812) does not fit the event (say rev war) timeframe. I am sorry that you had a bad experience but every juried event worth mention puts their guidelines out well ahead of time and requires new attendees to submit photos to be evaluated before issuing an invite to attend. Sounds like you got some bad advice early on. Plenty of people join or leave groups because the group is either too strict or too loose in what they accept. Everyone must choose for themselves how "correct" is correct enough for them and choose which events to attend accordingly.

Coot, no argument with what you said. Yes, early on in my game I checked as best I could (pre-internet days) for correctness. The groups I contacted usually had 'rules' that did not jive with my research. Some were just plain wrong for what they claimed to portray. I gave up early on trying to be accepted by juried events.

I agree that some "standards" leave something to be desired. I just wish that your early experience had been better as I am sure that there were/are a number of juried events that you would have enjoyed. From a number of your older posts, it seems that you did have fun at many rondys.

I understand the need for documentation but am not the absolutist you are.
Absolutist? Perish the thought...,
My point was to buy "one tent" that is roomy, and works in as many venues as possible. Also note the automatic winner hands down, the wedge tent, I think SUCKS for anything other than keeping one dry while sleeping. ;) I like the Whelen tent, or even better a Royce tent which IS a one-pole tent (for a solo person at an event) which I'd have to special order from one of the companies, since they are no longer made (source Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart). The Royce tent is a 20th century tent as is the Whelen, and only the most open of events would allow my favorite tent.

AH you mean this tent... WELL SPOTTED SIR! ...,
ONE POLE TENT AWI.jpg

That is indeed a one pole tent, a "Pavillion" tent..., So it's a sort of walled-circle. Pretty huge too.
PAVILION TENT.jpg PAVILION TENT SMALL.jpg I suppose you could get the smaller version and thus have justification for the "one pole tent", along with documentation, as the illustration does show such a tent, and size would be of course up to the person who ordered such a tent from the tent maker. The problem with expanding the argument for a smaller one-pole-pole tent is that you see only two types (one of which isn't for people), none are square, and everything other than what is based on the wedges, has external ropes, while the pyramid tents do not have these external ropes. SURE, why not a square based one pole tent, it's only a geometric change..., well many of the juried events say "show me" when you go up against their rules. Remember a lean-to of four canvas pieces that looks like a Baker is OK, as the Baker has the pieces sewn together so is out. Hey we don't make the rules UNLESS we are doing the event, eh?

A small pavilion is also quite expensive....

Here is what I'm talking about when it comes to walled tents..., NOTE how the roof extends beyond the walls AND there are no external wooden uprights to support the walls where the lines attach. Some events permit the walled tents with the supports, and some don't. Having set up such a walled tent with those side supports, I also think they suck... when it comes to putting up, taking down, and transport, as the external poles don't, in my mind justify their use with a bit more living space.

Walled Wedge and Bell Tents.jpg

LD

Last edited:
One does not just "show up at the gate" for a juried event.
Actually I've seen it. One of the first Fort Frederick Market Fairs with the cut-off at 1790, and several fellows were quite upset at being told "no lodges" a la plains Indian culture. They hadn't pre-registered, and simply last minute up and drove a long distance to the event. They could've set up their lodge in the "modern camping" area, but they decided the rule meant "they were not welcome", and left.

Folks seem to find it hard to understand that some folks go out of their way to comply with an event's rules, and are a tad miffed when they find the rules only apply to them, not to all folks attending.

I've seen a guy playing a resonator guitar at a juried event, circa 1927 design, and 1930's jazz tune, and was eventually asked to not return (sutler). (Hey they had tin and steel and guitars back then so why not :confused:...)
Hey I'd like to play my mountain dulcimer, but mine as it appears is dated earliest to the mid 19th century, plus the hardware is very 20th century. Now I could get one that is similar to a rectangular, boxy, Germanic Scheitholt with wooden pegs....
Then
there was the kid whose mom made him practice his clarinet while he was in camp..., first too modern, second the tunes were modern, third … he was awful. Why the middle schooler couldn't go to the parking area to play was beyond me, and HOW he could be worse, the second year he was there with that thing, is beyond me...

I view it as akin to showing up at an advertised "flintlock shoot" with a caplock and being upset that the caplock wasn't allowed. Now if the event was simply called a "muzzleloader" shoot, well then caplocks and modern stuff that meets that criteria should be allowed..., unless it was billed as a "traditional muzzleloader shoot". ;)

LD

LD, and others. I'm enjoying this thread. Regretfully, my ronny days are over. But, I do like that round one-poler, especially the door. Long ago I was having problems with the split, t-p style, slit/flap door. The bending over was just too difficult on my back. Especially when loading and unloading. Yes, there are, or can be, considerations when attending these types of events. e.g. I made and used a 'cricket' style chair. The ole back just had to be able to be rested now and then. Carry on. I'll find sumting else to argue.....uh....debate about later.;)

Latest posts

Back