• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NEW Taylor’s “Ace” Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't notice the man in the video using any sort of lube atop the balls. Once the barrel starts to foul, my experience is that accuracy suffers. Also no mention of removing the factory rust-proofing from either barrel nor cylinder prior to testing. I know the wads are supposed to help keep the bore clean, but I don 't think the wads do a red-hot job keeping fouling moist. Just a thought ...probably wrong.

nice looking little pistol. of course it will shoot low just look how much higher the front site is compared to the sighting groove on the top strap. it is about time they made the front sites high to be filed to suit the load. they always made the front sites to low even on rifles

Didn't notice the man in the video using any sort of lube atop the balls. Once the barrel starts to foul, my experience is that accuracy suffers. Also no mention of removing the factory rust-proofing from either barrel nor cylinder prior to testing. I know the wads are supposed to help keep the bore clean, but I don 't think the wads do a red-hot job keeping fouling moist. Just a thought ...probably wrong.

The revolver in the video had been cleaned thoroughly before that test. I had already shot it a couple times prior to that day, and up to that point had about 30 or so rounds through it.

No over ball lube, just the felt wads. They seem to do a good enough job of keeping the fouling at bay. Though not mentioned in the video, the barrel was swabbed between strings, to try to keep things as consistent as possible.

The video was just to show what I could do with those loads through that particular revolver on that particular day. As they say, your mileage may vary.

I did another video where I used this ACE with a certain type of cylinder we are not supposed to discuss here, and shot it at a little closer range (15 yards). With that, I was getting groups that were similar to the group that B P Arn posted above, and much closer to point of aim.

if they fluted the cylinder the ace would look a lot better

Fluted cylinder here

1644116059137.png

that is nice. it doesnt seem to show up in the pics. the cylinders look unfluted. half flutes would really stand out. do you have a pic of the ace with that cylinder?

that is nice. it doesnt seem to show up in the pics. the cylinders look unfluted. half flutes would really stand out. do you have a pic of the ace with that cylinder?

Not an ACE, but Taylor's has a not-so-good photo of one on a 5.5" revolver. If you can wait until tomorrow when I can get some good light, I'll throw my fluted cylinder on the ACE so you can get a better idea of what it looks like.

1644118640029.png

Not an ACE, but Taylor's has a not-so-good photo of one on a 5.5" revolver. If you can wait until tomorrow when I can get some good light, I'll throw my fluted cylinder on the ACE so you can get a better idea of what it looks like.

View attachment 120149
that is still a good pic I can see it now. the half flutes would really stand out. I have that pistol without the flutes. yes like to see your ace with the flutes

that is still a good pic I can see it now. the half flutes would really stand out. I have that pistol without the flutes. yes like to see your ace with the flutes

I'll get a few photos of it tomorrow and post them here.

I ordered an "Ace" on-line tonight from Jedediah Starr. Plain smooth wooden grips. I actually like the fake ivory grips better, but I already have one like that.

Their price is $329.99 plus shipping. Shipping cost depends on how fast you want it to arrive. I'm in no hurry.

So, now I wait. I have never ordered from this company before, nor have I heard anything about them, good, or bad.

Here are pictures of the full-sized one I already own:
View attachment 83891View attachment 83892

Here is one I made up myself some years ago... in my garage!!! LOL 😀 😲😱😀. It was the first black powder revolver I ever owned. .36 caliber. Someone had already "customized"/iff'ed up the barrel, so I just shortened it some more, and rounded the grips. I cut the barrel to 2-3/4" IIRC. I also made the holster... on my kitchen table!
View attachment 83893View attachment 83894
That's a good looking holster and the more rounded off handles look good also. Does the cylinder pin stay put? I don't see anything keeping it in place.

That's a good looking holster and the more rounded off handles look good also. Does the cylinder pin stay put? I don't see anything keeping it in place.
When I first built that revolver, I just used a set screw to hold the cylinder axis in place. Some time later I purchased a latch, which was just like the ones used in the new short barreled Pietta revolvers, and shown in post #97.

Back