• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NEW Taylor’s “Ace” Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd really like to have a .36 Remington snub as well, but I don't have the skills or the nerve to chop up a perfectly good revolver. Maybe if I find a basket case at a cheap price I'll give it a whirl, but until then I'll just have to keep hoping that Pietta or Uberti will offer one.

I've ordered from Jed. Starr once or twice. I've had no issues with them. Only complaints I've seen is that they don't always have in stock products that the website says are in stock. But they will call or e-mail you to let you know if that is the case. Hopefully they have your revolver for you.

The 36 caliber NMA I modified cost me $90 about 10 years ago. While mulling over whether to buy another used one to cut up, I found it is very difficult to find a NMA for less than $300. The spring loaded cylinder arbor latch cost about $35 or so for the first one I did. Since a complete new gun can be had for about $330, it didn't make sense to me to get a used one, buy the latch and whatever other parts might be needed, plus supply the blueing and labor.

In addition, I really like the larger, non-PC grips on the newer Piettas.

I ended up not liking the way I rounded the grip frame on the first one I did, so I am going to leave this one as-is.

Last edited:
I am glad that Pietta left the grip frame alone. I like the birdshead style grips on the snubbie Colt's, but I think due to the shape of the Remington grips they are better left as-is.

Looks like Taylor’s has a new Ace up their sleeve:

View attachment 81942
The Colt’s snub nose “Avenging Angels” have gotten all the attention but it now looks like Taylor’s has a new line of belly guns based on the classic Remington 1858. The cylinder pin retaining system is interesting. This would make a dandy gun for poker night at the local saloon!
Cheeze, kind of ugly, though! Nice they're thinking of new items, but gosh are these awful! IMHO.

As I posted earlier, I ordered my "Ace" from Jedediah Starr on-line on June 6. Today I got an email from them saying they are processing my order and expect it to be shipped in about two weeks. COVID, yada, blah, et cetera...

As I posted earlier, I ordered my "Ace" from Jedediah Starr on-line on June 6. Today I got an email from them saying they are processing my order and expect it to be shipped in about two weeks. COVID, yada, blah, et cetera...

I ordered something recently from them too and also got that "shipping in 2 weeks" e-mail, but it actually ended up shipping the next day. So you might get it sooner than you think (hopefully!).

I bought one a couple weeks ago and have been messing around with it a little bit. Zero issues with it - the only "negative" is that it shoots a bit low, which is actually a good thing since it will be easy enough to adjust POA/POI with some filing of the front sight.

I'm really liking it so far. If you are considering getting one I would strongly suggest it!

I posted a couple quick videos with it. Enjoy!

It's junk, did you see the Youtube test shooting?

If I was the guy in that video, I'd demand my money back!

It shoots more than a foot below the POA.

How can that be?

Didn't Pietta test fire these at the factory?

What kind of accuracy were they getting on target with it?

Also, there is no way this is in any way period correct...

How can that be?

Didn't Pietta test fire these at the factory?

What kind of accuracy were they getting on target with it?

I think I might have seen that video.;)

The biggest problem is that the loser behind the trigger is just a lousy shot! :doh:

Once the front sight gets filed down and I find a load with acceptable accuracy, I think this is going to be a neat revolver to bang around with.

As far as period correct, I have seen photos of original Colts that had been cut down into snubbies, but I don't recall ever seeing a Remington cut down the same.

I would argue that this type of revolver IS period correct, since these modifications can be done with tools and technology available at the time. I have no doubt that this, or something very similar, was done many times.

It is a mistake to confuse "accuracy" with shooting to point of aim.

I'm looking forward to getting mine tomorrow. I plan to shoot it some in my basement right away, and then take it to the range on Saturday.

How can that be?

LOL....,

So first place, the YouTube "testing" was an annecdotal firing demonstration, not a test.
The fellow making the video used a bench but didn't do bench shooting..., they are NOT one in the same. ;)
He mentions he doesn't do it much, and he's not very good at bench shooting..., so...,

His distance is 66 feet away (22 yards)..., BUT even in our modern times handgun combat 80% of the time is at 21 FEET or less (Source NYPD)
With nothing to suggest that handgun combat was different back in the cap-n-ball era, other than it being a lot slower at firing rates..., the test should be at 21 FEET a.k.a 7 Yards. Until we get a proper bench rest test, hopefully with the revolver secured on something solid, fired at 21 feet, we really can't say it's not accurate...

As for "period correct", that term is used a lot, but is often more widely used than it should be. There are actually four terms. These Are:

Documentary Piece, a replica of an item that is an identical or near identical copy of an extant artifact. Allowances are made for making the replica appear new and not showing the ravages of time.

Historically Correct, a replica of an item that is an approximation of an original artifact, without glaring errors visually detectable. (this standard may vary from person to person) Some would argue that because revolvers were cut down to make "pocket guns", that cutting down the 1858 Remington does not remove it from the category of HC, even though no known examples of that modification are currently known. The cylinder pin retention mechanism might disqualify it as HC, or the mechanism itself my be Historically Inspired (see below) Some, like myself, do not like the SLP Bess as offered by Pedersoli for use in the F&I, as it was not in production during that war, so it is not HC

Period Correct, similar to Historically Correct, in that the item may be a replica of an item that was known to have existed somewhere on Earth, so it's existence at X time period is not generally in dispute, but whether it was known in a specific location is perhaps debatable. Sometimes allowances are made for an item, like the SLP Bess in the F&I, that all of the SLP Bess characteristics were known during the F&I, and just because it was put into production a few years after the war doesn't disqualify it from being PC, even though it's not HC.

Historically Inspired,
an item whose basic function, materials, and construction are not out the realm of the technology of the time period, but there is no mention of the item in historical records, nor do any extant examples exists, nor anything similar that is known to exist. The classic item in this category is the "bullet board" in the 18th century. A not so readily noticed item is the domed lid "corn boiler" made of copper..., which is dated to the 20th century.

LD

I ordered an "Ace" on-line tonight from Jedediah Starr. Plain smooth wooden grips. I actually like the fake ivory grips better, but I already have one like that.

Their price is $329.99 plus shipping. Shipping cost depends on how fast you want it to arrive. I'm in no hurry.

So, now I wait. I have never ordered from this company before, nor have I heard anything about them, good, or bad.

Here are pictures of the full-sized one I already own:
View attachment 83891View attachment 83892

Here is one I made up myself some years ago... in my garage!!! LOL 😀 😲😱😀. It was the first black powder revolver I ever owned. .36 caliber. Someone had already "customized"/iff'ed up the barrel, so I just shortened it some more, and rounded the grips. I cut the barrel to 2-3/4" IIRC. I also made the holster... on my kitchen table!
View attachment 83893View attachment 83894
I like you snubbie Walker better! * Which I plan to do after Christmas!* :cool:

I would argue that this type of revolver IS period correct, since these modifications can be done with tools and technology available at the time. I have no doubt that this, or something very similar, was done many times.

It is a mistake to confuse "accuracy" with shooting to point of aim.

I'm looking forward to getting mine tomorrow. I plan to shoot it some in my basement right away, and then take it to the range on Saturday.

Based on what?

Yes, the pistol existed, full size, for a pistol with a frame that large it doesn't make sense, the modifications are completely suspect.

For the price of what it would have cost to have a gunsmith of the period modify it as shown, they could have bought a whole other pistol.

I ain't buying it on this one, it looks like a movie prop, this is something Pietta cooked up to boost sales.

I've heard that reasoning spoken many times in CW reenacting especially by farby noobs who simply want to carry something at events because it looks cool but they can not in any way, shape, or form back it up with any actual evidence that it was used, it's the old 'if they could have had it, they would have had it' excuse.

Even full-sized, short-barreled Colts were in short supply but I've never in all my decades of research of that time period's weaponry did I ever see a cut-down, snubby 1858 Remington.

LOL....,

So first place, the YouTube "testing" was an annecdotal firing demonstration, not a test.
The fellow making the video used a bench but didn't do bench shooting..., they are NOT one in the same. ;)
He mentions he doesn't do it much, and he's not very good at bench shooting..., so...,

His distance is 66 feet away (22 yards)..., BUT even in our modern times handgun combat 80% of the time is at 21 FEET or less (Source NYPD)
With nothing to suggest that handgun combat was different back in the cap-n-ball era, other than it being a lot slower at firing rates..., the test should be at 21 FEET a.k.a 7 Yards. Until we get a proper bench rest test, hopefully with the revolver secured on something solid, fired at 21 feet, we really can't say it's not accurate...

As for "period correct", that term is used a lot, but is often more widely used than it should be. There are actually four terms. These Are:

Documentary Piece, a replica of an item that is an identical or near identical copy of an extant artifact. Allowances are made for making the replica appear new and not showing the ravages of time.

Historically Correct, a replica of an item that is an approximation of an original artifact, without glaring errors visually detectable. (this standard may vary from person to person) Some would argue that because revolvers were cut down to make "pocket guns", that cutting down the 1858 Remington does not remove it from the category of HC, even though no known examples of that modification are currently known. The cylinder pin retention mechanism might disqualify it as HC, or the mechanism itself my be Historically Inspired (see below) Some, like myself, do not like the SLP Bess as offered by Pedersoli for use in the F&I, as it was not in production during that war, so it is not HC

Period Correct, similar to Historically Correct, in that the item may be a replica of an item that was known to have existed somewhere on Earth, so it's existence at X time period is not generally in dispute, but whether it was known in a specific location is perhaps debatable. Sometimes allowances are made for an item, like the SLP Bess in the F&I, that all of the SLP Bess characteristics were known during the F&I, and just because it was put into production a few years after the war doesn't disqualify it from being PC, even though it's not HC.

Historically Inspired,
an item whose basic function, materials, and construction are not out the realm of the technology of the time period, but there is no mention of the item in historical records, nor do any extant examples exists, nor anything similar that is known to exist. The classic item in this category is the "bullet board" in the 18th century. A not so readily noticed item is the domed lid "corn boiler" made of copper..., which is dated to the 20th century.

LD
Ok, fair enough, has anyone here actually fired one of these yet?

If so what did they find when they fired it?

I hope for the sake of those here who are actually buying them, the video I found is dead wrong...
icon_no.gif

Latest posts

Back