• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New t/c hawken yee ha

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murph

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, i just got my new t/c hawken clean'd it and polished up the brass furniture. Cant' wait to shoot her, i think this weekend. Not shure if i should use pyrodex or black powder in her any thoughts let me know.Also replaced nipple with a hot shot nipple hope this one is a keeper, murph

A percussion muzzleloader will go either way, pyrodex or black powder...

If you can get black powder, I would say use it, just seems right in a black powder weapon...

What caliber did you get?

"hope this one is a keeper"???
Have you had a T/C before that you let go?

I'v owned a t/c with a 32in barrel with two rear fold down sights it shot real well but like a fool i sold it. i bought it for $200 new in a gun shop that i worked at. the hawken its 50.cal im thinking of re finishing the stock in an oil down the road thanks. murph :(

I'v owned a t/c with a 32in barrel with two rear fold down sights it shot real well but like a fool i sold it.

I've been down that road before, sure wish I never sold my T/C Cherokee .32 caliber squirrel gun...

The .50 caliber Hawken is a good solid gun, my brothers both have one...

murph: I use goex 3f in my t/c 50 cal. flinter seem to favor it over other powders.When I could not get my hands on 2f or 3f but had some 4f ,I would throw 10 grains of 4f first then followed with pyrodex select for the main charge ,gun did shoot great.I still have a few t/c percussion locks and use the stock nipples but I do use RWS 1075 plus # 11 caps

I would throw 10 grains of 4f first then followed with pyrodex select for the main charge

One quick note on this, remember to deduct from the main charge of pyrodex the amount of FFFFg used (at least)...

If you normally use 90 grains of pyrodex, then use 10 grains of FFFFg and 80 grains of pyrodex, this way you don't over charge your rifle...

Murph:My oldest son bought a TC Hawkens pre-owned (never shot)about 5 or 6 years ago in .54cal[url] percussion.Outside[/url] of a little tuneing on the lock,It's been first class.If You can get Real B.P.I'd go with it. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used both Pyrodex and Goex in a number of TC Hawken percussions and now flintlocks...using real BP with it's lower igniton temperature, there's NEVER a question about it going off instantaneously.
And although Pyrodex RS served me well for several years until I learned about Goex, I did have a few instances where I got hang fires, and one of those times I was looking down the barrel at a 6 pointer.

They both require exactly the same type of thorough cleaning and both respond perfectly to lubes like bore butter for shooting without having to wipe between shots...so my suggestion would be to use Goex FFFg.

Note: Goex is only $9.90/Lb delivered to your door if you order it by the case from JJPyrotechnics in Moscow, PA...it's outstanding stuff...fast, clean, and accurate.

Back